Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Will all my application still stay when I delete the other user account?
That depends on where they are. My apps are at the top level: MacHD/Applications. If yours are in HD/Users/"you"/Applications then you'll need to relocate them to the main Applications folder. Once in there, they are safe.

Woofie2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Australia
That depends on where they are. My apps are at the top level: MacHD/Applications. If yours are in HD/Users/"you"/Applications then you'll need to relocate them to the main Applications folder. Once in there, they are safe.

Ok thanks. Do you have any idea how I can save my iMessages?

Woofie2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Australia
Im beging to wonder wether its Serria or what.

Rather then make a new user account i restored to El Captain and then upgraded again, however the problem presented itself again

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
If it was a bug, I suspect you'd have more responses here. I don't think it's in the OS for everyone - not me anyway.

Woofie2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Australia
Oh i found a gif of what is pretty much happening to me (for the people that wanted to see). Expect I'm not trying to open the app from the dock, I'm just trying to switch windows

What I experience i when the person goes into mission control, and clicks firefox, but then finder open. Thats my problem.

I like running the latest version of macOS, however a fresh install is so much work and might not actually fix the problem, so i guess I'm stuck with 10.11
bug.gif

stooovie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2010
If it was a bug, I suspect you'd have more responses here. I don't think it's in the OS for everyone - not me anyway.

Well, whether a bug that is present in code in everyone's install manifests itself or not depends in many, countless conditions (external hardware, 3rd-party drivers, dual displays, whatever), so no, it can be a bug and majority of people can never face it.

Woofie2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Australia
Well i decided to give Serria another shot, and well i still have the problem, but it seems to occur when i open a new window in safari, so i think it might have something to do with safari, although it doesn't happen when using the latest version of safari on El Capatain

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Well it was fine when I was on El Capitan, and it happens with other apps. Like I'll have MS Office open, safari and finder, I click on Finder and Word or Safari might pop up.

But I've tested this new user for a few days and all is going good

Sometime I could happen with the first try, once it bugs out, then it will always happen until I restart or use "kill dock" command in terminal

Will all my application still stay when I delete the other user account?

Applications are global in the /Applications folder.. They will not be deleted, but any preferences file from those apps will be as they are in Preferences, and Cache folders are unique to your home/Library folder etc..

Anything beneath you home folder (/Documents /Movies /Pictures etc.) are unique to that one account.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.32.10 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 5.32.10 pm.png
    262.8 KB · Views: 152

Woofie2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Australia
Applications are global in the /Applications folder.. They will not be deleted, but any preferences file from those apps will be as they are in Preferences, and Cache folders are unique to your home/Library folder etc..

Anything beneath you home folder (/Documents /Movies /Pictures etc.) are unique to that one account.
So i would only have to transfer items that are in my home folders, and then my new user account will be new and have all the same stuff i already have?

Woofie2010

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 11, 2010
Australia
A little bit additional info: if you restart the Dock (type "killall Dock" into a Terminal), it will be better for a while.

Yea i know about the terminal command, but its annoying have to type it every time.

when I try and create a new user account and access my home folder content it always comes up saying " I don't have permission to access this folder" so I can't access the content and transfer stuff over

Last edited:

maverick808

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2004
Scotland
This happens to me as well and it's infuriating. I think it's less well known because for it to occur you need to be using multiple spaces and assign apps to 'All Desktops'. Probably, whilst not uncommon, this isn't something most macOS users do.

Looking at my bug reports I actually reported this bug in November 2016, so over a year now and it's still there. Apple's bugs and their bug reporting system is really frustrating. I have loads of bugs that have been sitting in their reporter for literally years that are still just sitting there open.

slikts

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2019
I'm having this problem (previously focused app popping in front of what I select in Mission Control) in macOS High Sierra 10.13.6. It's quite frustrating. I'm also using a dual screen setup, so maybe that's related.

Edit: `killall Dock` doesn't fix it even temporarily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.