Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

belal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
When swiping up with four fingers using a trackpad on OS X El Capitan, Mission Control would zoom out of your current window/screen and allow you to swipe right and left to the neighboring windows/screens.

After upgrading to macOS Sierra, when swiping up with four fingers using a trackpad, Mission control defaults to the first Desktop window/screen no matter the window/screen that was currently active.

For example, if you are using the second window/screen (directly to the right of your desktop window/screen), activate Mission Control and swipe to move to the third window/screen, macOS Sierra instead takes you right back to the second window/screen since it defaulted you to the desktop.

Is there a way to reverse Mission Control back to how it was on OS X El Capitan?

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding you but when I create multiple desktops & full-screen apps and I invoke Mission Control my default starting point seems to be the currently active window.

belal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 6, 2016
Heres a streamable to better convey my issue: https://streamable.com/wseo

As you can see, when I am on Desktop 4 (iTunes) and try to navigate to the left to Desktop 3 (Chrome/Macrumors), I instead hit the edge because Mission Control has taken me back to the Desktop 1.

I then navigate to Desktop 3 and attempt navigate left to Desktop 4 via Mission Control, but instead Im taken to Desktop 2 (Safari/Google) - again due to Mission Control defaulting to Desktop 1.

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Heres a streamable to better convey my issue: https://streamable.com/wseo

As you can see, when I am on Desktop 4 (iTunes) and try to navigate to the left to Desktop 3 (Chrome/Macrumors), I instead hit the edge because Mission Control has taken me back to the Desktop 1.

I then navigate to Desktop 3 and attempt navigate left to Desktop 4 via Mission Control, but instead Im taken to Desktop 2 (Safari/Google) - again due to Mission Control defaulting to Desktop 1.

That is a bug for sure. It doesn't behave like that for me (running El Capitan).

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
I think Mission Control is the part of Sierra with most bugs.

Hopefully 10.12.1 will fix all/most of them.

Sometimes when I scroll up with 4 fingers the animation will stop midway and it will stay stuck until scrolling down with 4 fingers two or three times.

Also, the animations appears choppy.

It's probably the one thing I hate the most (currently) on Sierra.

I hope they release 10.12.1 next week.

comics addict

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2013
That is a bug for sure. It doesn't behave like that for me (running El Capitan).

For me it's the exact opposite in that it happened to me while in El Capitan but in Sierra so far it's been flawless. OP that's not what happens on my computer. If I were on the iTunes app and invoke mission control by default I am still in the last used space e.g. iTunes. Not sure if it's a bug or a setting in system preferences.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Mine works just like it did in El Capitan. I think your Mission Control has a problem. It's working though, so maybe a preference file is messed up somewhere. Does it work correctly in other accounts? If so, look for something in that particular account, may a bad pref file.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.