Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davmeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
London
Hi guys,

Question: if I have an old airport express and, say, a HomePod, on the same network: what happens if I select the airport express, stream to that, and then select the HomePod?

Because the AE is not airplay 2, will it stop audio to the AE and then just play to the HomePod as per airplay 1 behaviour?

Thanks

Cmd-Z

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2014
Coyote, CA
Correct, you cannot AirPlay 1 and 2 simultaneously, if you select the HomePod your AE will be dropped, and vice-versa (I know from direct experience).

BlackFriday2018

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2018
Hi guys,

Question: if I have an old airport express and, say, a HomePod, on the same network: what happens if I select the airport express, stream to that, and then select the HomePod?

Because the AE is not airplay 2, will it stop audio to the AE and then just play to the HomePod as per airplay 1 behaviour?

Thanks

Can I make the question more specific - i.e., - by specifying whether the device is a Mac or adios device?

I'd expect that an iOS device would not be able to handle a mixed network - because it can't handle more that 1 Airplay (1) device.

But can a Mac - which used to be able to send to multiple airplay (1) devices -- not handle mixed clients?

I have a system playing to 6 rooms, two of which are served by an Onkyo AV Receiver that only handles Airplay (1). Onkyo has not currently announced any plans to support Airplay 2, or to back-port Airplay 2 to its existing Airplay devices. If all of the Apple devices in my home have moved to Airplay 2, this leaves my $1000 receiver as a disconnected heap of junk. not happy....

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.