Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberguyiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Los Angeles
I was searching through the forums and could not find anything of the sort. I have a USB Audio Technica 2020 microphone. I want to be able to connect it to a mixer and can't seem to find one at all. I prefer the mixers with faders at a decent Sub $300 price. Any suggestions/help ?

hakukani

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii
If I understand you correctly, you want an analog mixer that has digital inputs.

It sort of defeats the purpose of having a mic with an A/D converter, and plugging it into a mixer that will convert it right back into an analog signal.:rolleyes:

Not sure if this will work, but a number of dj mixers have usb inputs. Here's one:

http://www.numark.com/c3usb

However, you're much better off plugging your 2020 into a computer, and using a DAW as your mixer. DAWs have faders--but they are virtual.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
USB mics are an all-in-one solution that don't integrate with anything other than the USB port in your computer. one may make sense on a budget, or for compactness, but it's a dead-end investment if you want to expand beyond it at all.

Reactions: StoneJack

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
The USB I/O is for connecting to a USB host (your computer). Your USB microphone isn't a 'host'.

Your microphone has a soundcard in it, the same as the Numark mixer. Connecting the two together would be like connecting to hard drives together and expecting them to do something...

Reactions: satcomer

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
So you are saying that this Numark with USB I/O won't work for me? It seems like it's what I need.

from the description, it looks like the USB mic may work. (obviously i haven't tried this). doesn't seem like an ideal sol'n, though, except as a way to justify the purchase of the USB mic.

the mixer does have inputs for a "normal" mic, though i don't see phantom power so it would probably be a dynamic, like an sm-57.

if the USB mic did work as an input, there'd be no way to control the amplitude of the signal coming in. unless it's a good match, you'll have to compensate at the mixer, either by turning down a hot and possibly distorted signal, or trying to bring up the level of the signal. could get nasty.

finally, i didn't see any indication that the signal would stay digital all the way to the computer. it'd be kinda silly to convert a/d, then d/a, just to a/d it into the computer, as hakukani mentioned.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I was searching through the forums and could not find anything of the sort. I have a USB Audio Technica 2020 microphone. I want to be able to connect it to a mixer and can't seem to find one at all. I prefer the mixers with faders at a decent Sub $300 price. Any suggestions/help ?

The first question is "Why?". What's the bigger picture. Maaybe there is a better way to get what you need done.

The mixer you are looking for is called "Garage Band". Those USB mics connect directly to a computer. GB of course is free with every new Mac so you likely already have it

I don't really see the need for external mixers, Yes some prefer physical sliders and knobs but control surfaces have these.

USB mics are intended for people who want an all-in-one solution and the mic and audio interface are all in the one unit. Keep the USB mic for when you don't need a complex setup

djreplay

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2011
back to the question

I know this subject was addressed here some time ago but when I read some of the responses I just had to register and respond. Quite often I see someone reaching out for help and getting questioned, second guessed and criticized for asking their question. Here, a person needs help mixing the signal from a USB mic with other sources and needs help. He receives one answer and then the powers that cam help instead want to know what for because it doesn't make sense to them.
Well, here you go. I have a USB mic that produces a true tone and faithfully reproduces the subtle tone changes in my voice as I read into it. An analogue mic might also do this but it involves additional costs and the risk that even at twice or three times the price it wont work as well for me.
In doing voice overs I wish to mix music with my voice and monitor the whole thing with headphones. The best way I know to do this is with a hardware mixer (digital or analogue).
Since I only need two channels a DJ mixer that accepts a USB mic might be just the ticket since I also cannot find a USB mixer that accepts a USB mic and outputs to my computer sound card.
There you have it...a legitimate need for a hardware mixer with a USB mic input. I hope that someone with an interest in solving the actual problem will contribute.

hakukani

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
Hawaii
The problem here is that the best way is not a hardware mixer. The best solution is a software mixer. All you need to do is put your music in a DAW, and listen back through the DAW while recording your voiceover. The DAW acts as the mixer. I see no need here for a hardware mixer.

If you don't have a DAW, you can download Audacity for free. I've used this with some success using Blue's Yeti USB microphone.

The OP was not being criticized, we were trying to help him with a solution that actually works with existing equipment. If a software mixer won't help, or you don't 'like' DAWs, then I'm sorry, and wish you luck in finding a solution to your problem.

Last edited:

Clemfm

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2022
Necroposting I know, however in 2022 there must be a way to route a USB mic to a USB mixer?

cyberguyiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2008
Los Angeles
Necroposting I know, however in 2022 there must be a way to route a USB mic to a USB mixer?
XLR mics are really accessible so I would suggest that route.
I use a Scarlett Solo and Scarlett 18i8 in addition to Audio Hijack to make it all work together.

What USB mic are you working with and what setup are you trying to accomplish?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.