Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kcrossley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Virginia
My house has a mixture of builder-installed Cat5e-568A and owner-installed Cat6-568B in-wall Ethernet cables. I'm getting ready to install (2) TRENDnet 12-port patch panels. Is it okay to mix the two cable types in the same patch panel, as long as they are wired using the same layout as the jacks the patch panel will feed?

Thanks!

kcrossley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Virginia
Not the biggest expert, but as long as you don't go faster than 1Gbit Ethernet I wouldn't expect any problems.
This brings up an interesting question. Currently, I only have Verizon FIOS 1GB service. Once Verizon offers multi-gigabit service, shouldn't I be able to attain multi-gigabit speeds provided that the Ethernet jacks, cables, and switch are all multi-gigabit capable?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Once Verizon offers multi-gigabit service, shouldn't I be able to attain multi-gigabit speeds provided that the Ethernet jacks, cables, and switch are all multi-gigabit capable?
With this patch panel, yes. But it will also depend on your router. Most consumer grade routers aren’t multi-gigabit yet.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Your LAN will be multi-gigabit but unless your router supports multi-gigabit, a multi-gigabit ISP connection will be capped at the bandwidth of your router.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I just purchased two of these as well, so I can move data faster to my Synology NAS, which will be on one of the Cat6 lines, as will my iMac Pro: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08XWKF55C :)
Your iMac Pro only supports 1GbE so a 2.5GbE switch won't offer much advantage there unless you have a couple of devices writing to the Synology simultaneously (and it'd also require that the Synology itself supports 2.5GbE.)

paardenkapper

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2023
Germany
Cat 5e and 6 do not differ all that much. Both will offer gigabit ethernet support.

Just as far as my experience goes you should decide between using T568A and B.
The difference is the connection of the orange/white-orange and green/white-green pair.

You can mix it on your patch panel but I'd stick to one way. Just make sure you're using the same scheme on the patchpanel AND the ethernet port on the other end. Using A on one end and B on the other will result in failing connections.

Reactions: kcrossley

kcrossley

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
Virginia
Cat 5e and 6 do not differ all that much. Both will offer gigabit ethernet support.

Just as far as my experience goes you should decide between using T568A and B.
The difference is the connection of the orange/white-orange and green/white-green pair.

You can mix it on your patch panel but I'd stick to one way. Just make sure you're using the same scheme on the patchpanel AND the ethernet port on the other end. Using A on one end and B on the other will result in failing connections.
Most of my house is wired with T568A. Not sure if this has more to do with when it was wired (2007) or the fact that half of the Cat5e cables and RJ45 jacks were used for voice.

Any issies with wiring my new Cat6 cables using T568A? Thanks!

Slartibart

macrumors 68030
Aug 19, 2020
T568A (and B)/ certified Cat6-ables use slightly thicker copper lines and better shielding compared to Cat5 (Cat6 is fully Cat5/3 compatible). Depending on various e.g. external factors you might not actually see a difference when using either of these cables. However, with slower speeds and less bandwidth – not to mention more crosstalk interference – you would probably prefer Cat6 when connecting end points.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Having a mixture of T568A and B won’t matter as long as both terminations on both ends are terminated the same way. You can’t have one end A and the other B. As long as each cable is A/A and B/B, the switch won’t care.

A and B are mostly a preference. B is considered the normal standard, and I believe A is still required for use in Dept of Defense wiring jobs. But most of the time, you will find B wiring in most applications. You can always reterminate all of your A connections and make them B. And it’s true, try not to mix and match. Pick one standard and stick to it. I personally wire for B in my house.

Reactions: vanc and Weaselboy

vanc

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2007
Not the biggest expert, but as long as you don't go faster than 1Gbit Ethernet I wouldn't expect any problems.
Cat5e is indeed not rated for 10G. But if the cable quality is good, it would work.

At the moment, I'm using regular cat5e cables for my 10G switch and it's super reliable. The catch is the length. The longer it gets, the worse of the interference. So keep it short (less than 30 meters) and it's all good. Depending on the quality of your cable, your milage may vary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.