Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
If that were really the case, an outlet like the Verge would report on it and it would be a big scandal and Apple would be made fun of for that in perpetuity. It would leak out.

I have no doubt you are wrong.

Edit: that's not to say there are zero restrictions. I'm pretty sure they're not allowed to do a drop test with loaner hardware. Also, they had to keep their usage of the hardware discreet, so they may not have been able to test some real world use cases, like using it on an airplane.
The Verge was given a unit to review therefore they would be under obligation of a NDA. They would not have been ab le to tell viewers they were under restrictions of a NDA because the NDA would have prevented them from doing so. Many times the Verge has purchased a product themselves because they do not want to be under the restriction of a NDA. The fact they reviewed a unit means Apple would have had to given them one to review which means they would have been under Apple instructions as to what they can and cannot say.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
The Verge was given a unit to review therefore they would be under obligation of a NDA. They would not have been ab le to tell viewers they were under restrictions of a NDA because the NDA would have prevented them from doing so. Many times the Verge has purchased a product themselves because they do not want to be under the restriction of a NDA. The fact they reviewed a unit means Apple would have had to given them one to review which means they would have been under Apple instructions as to what they can and cannot say.
Yes, they were under an NDA before the embargo date lifted. That doesn't mean they were restricted from saying what they wanted to say about the product after the embargo was lifted.

laptech

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
Yes, they were under an NDA before the embargo date lifted. That doesn't mean they were restricted from saying what they wanted to say about the product after the embargo was lifted.
But they couldn't say what they wanted could they because they had to make the review video days or even weeks before the official release date and then probably hand back the review unit. The Verge released theirs 4 days early, something they may get into trouble with Apple with because everyone else released their review video on the day of the official release. If the Verge or anyone else want's to give a non restricted review of the VP they will now have to buy their own and do another review.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
But they couldn't say what they wanted could they because they had to make the review video days or even weeks before the official release date and then probably hand back the review unit. The Verge released theirs 4 days early, something they may get into trouble with Apple with because everyone else released their review video on the day of the official release. If the Verge or anyone else want's to give a non restricted review of the VP they will now have to buy their own and do another review.
All of the major YouTubers released videos on Tuesday, three days before the consumer release. They received their units only a week before that. MKBHD waited a few extra days to release his review video. You're speculating about things that are public knowledge, and you are plain wrong about when reviewers released their videos.

Last edited:
Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
Anybody who believes that mainstream YouTubers are not influenced by companies like Apple is delusional. Do you honestly think that people like iJustine would do anything to bite the hand that made them rich and famous?
I don't doubt that some YouTubers would hold back negative comments so as not to jeopardize their access. But I also don't think Apple is giving them lists of things they are allowed to say.
But some Apple competitors, such as XReal, are doing just that. I've seen a couple YouTube "reviews" of their products that are "sponsored" videos. And I was disappointed in one YouTuber in particular who didn't make that abundantly clear in their video.

f1vespeed

macrumors member
Apr 14, 2008
Not going to lie but Nilay Patel would probably slap you for saying such things. Verge is a stand up publication.

They certainly don't pay the verge, but they don't need to. It's called access journalism. The Verge depends on early access to Apple products to get traffic to their content and ad revenue, not to mention to retain their audience.

If the Verge immediately trashed Apple devices after their first looks, they'd get on the naughty list and eventually stop getting those prized invitations. That's the simple quid pro quo.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
They certainly don't pay the verge, but they don't need to. It's called access journalism. The Verge depends on early access to Apple products to get traffic to their content and ad revenue, not to mention to retain their audience.

If the Verge immediately trashed Apple devices after their first looks, they'd get on the naughty list and eventually stop getting those prized invitations. That's the simple quid pro quo.
They gave the vision a 7 out of 10. I’d say that’s fair.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
I don't doubt that some YouTubers would hold back negative comments so as not to jeopardize their access. But I also don't think Apple is giving them lists of things they are allowed to say.
But some Apple competitors, such as XReal, are doing just that. I've seen a couple YouTube "reviews" of their products that are "sponsored" videos. And I was disappointed in one YouTuber in particular who didn't make that abundantly clear in their video.
Let's be real though. Anyone who gets "early access" to Apple devices isn't putting up a super negative review. I thought the Verge did a nice job in their review. YouTubers like iJustine are the ones to be avoided if you're looking for unbiased coverage because their reviews are always super positive regardless of the product.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
They wouldn't tell the truth because they are paid shills. They are basically "contractors" working for the Apple marketing department.

I don't have proof, but Apple probably gives them a list of talking points they need to talk about.
This is nonsense. I share an office with a big German tech YouTuber and Apple sends him everything they release for review, even to keep it for 6 months, but he can absolutely say whatever he pleases.

turbineseaplane

macrumors P6
Mar 19, 2008
This is nonsense. I share an office with a big German tech YouTuber and Apple sends him everything they release for review, even to keep it for 6 months, but he can absolutely say whatever he pleases.

Has he ever gone scorched Earth on an Apple product?
If so, which?

Possible to share a link so we could evaluate?

Being able to "say whatever he pleases" only matters if he ever says things Apple really wouldn't like

(that's sort of the entire point being made and discussed here about influence Apple has)

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008

Let's be real though. Anyone who gets "early access" to Apple devices isn't putting up a super negative review. I thought the Verge did a nice job in their review. YouTubers like iJustine are the ones to be avoided if you're looking for unbiased coverage because their reviews are always super positive regardless of the product.
With this kind of cynicism, you could find a reason to dismiss any positive review.

How about reviewers that give a positive review but didn't have early access? Well obviously they are trying to impress Apple so one day Apple will start sending them early review units
/s.

How about negative reviews? Well, they're obviously just trying to be different for click bait.

Etc.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Anybody who believes that mainstream YouTubers are not influenced by companies like Apple is delusional. Do you honestly think that people like iJustine would do anything to bite the hand that made them rich and famous?

She's absolutely not a reviewer. She's just an a living ad for whoever sends her stuff in the mail. I don't fault her for it because she's made a ton of money doing it, but anyone taking her "reviews" seriously is crazy. Apple could send her an empty box and she would go on and on about how insanely great the box is and that the nothing inside of it is life-changing.

chfilm

macrumors 68040
Nov 15, 2012
Berlin
Has he ever gone scorched Earth on an Apple product?
If so, which?

Possible to share a link so we could evaluate?

Being able to "say whatever he pleases" only matters if he ever says things Apple really wouldn't like

(that's sort of the entire point being made and discussed here about influence Apple has)
Well he certainly likes the products personally but he doesn’t use an iPhone personally and says so in his videos too. He critiques if he doesn’t like an aspect of a product for sure.. I think Apple doesn’t care cause overall, the takeaway is mostly positive.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017
well I think the details is in the what kind of influence. What has happened in the more mature years of Youtube compared to earlier years, is that YouTubers compete with each other over the same viewers it seems. This leads to Apple or any other company having choice who they select to give previewing, and I assume you don't get on this list if they are not 'happy' with you. It's just hard to be 'fully' independent if you like to enjoy the rewards you get when a company reward you with special access, products and connections.... because once you get used to it, it's hard to do something against that.

AirpodsNow

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2017
She's absolutely not a reviewer. She's just an a living ad for whoever sends her stuff in the mail. I don't fault her for it because she's made a ton of money doing it, but anyone taking her "reviews" seriously is crazy. Apple could send her an empty box and she would go on and on about how insanely great the box is and that the nothing inside of it is life-changing.
I would rephrase that iJustine just reviews things she 'likes' or is 'positive' about or at least she can act like she is... and that is the vibe of the that channel, something like a feel good video about the things she presents.

If people like more objective opinions about Apple stuff, it's good to check whether they were actually complaining about the butterfly keyboard issue.... it's hard to rationalise this as a non-issue at the time. Some omitted to discuss or worse praised it while many had issues.

hans1972

macrumors 68040
Apr 5, 2010

Of course they're influenced by Apple, but they're not paid by Apple.

YouTubers receive money from Google and maybe advertiser's they have themselves.

Jensend

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2008
I would rephrase that iJustine just reviews things she 'likes' or is 'positive' about or at least she can act like she is... and that is the vibe of the that channel, something like a feel good video about the things she presents.

If people like more objective opinions about Apple stuff, it's good to check whether they were actually complaining about the butterfly keyboard issue.... it's hard to rationalise this as a non-issue at the time. Some omitted to discuss or worse praised it while many had issues.
Would the butterfly keyboard have been an issue within a week of when the reviewers got their review units?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I agree with most here. Obviously the reviewers are incentivized to give good reviews so they continue to receive products early. With that said, Apple does make damn good products, so it is pretty easy to give solid reviews. Specifically when you are only spending a week at most with these products.

The Verge did a good job pointing out pros and cons. Most of the reviews I watched seemed like people who only spent "hours" with the device vs really putting it through its paces.

Bottom line. Do reviewers continue to receive products because they give favorable reviews, Yes. Does Apple make great products so it's easy to give a favorable review, Yes. Both things can be true.

Reactions: Night Spring

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
Even if I were around others, it sounds like Eyesight doesn’t make much of a difference.
From what I’ve seen in reviews, the initial reaction is EyeSight is very weird and forgettable, but some people have grown to appreciate that it at least lets them know where the user’s attention is. It seemed to make the most sense in an office environment where one or more people are using a VP and taking it off constantly would be anti-productive.

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
He posted a follow up.

The main problem to him: you are all alone

Should clarify, he means he wishes software would allow multiple VP users to share virtual objects or environments, not that using a headset over-isolates you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.