Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hello.
This is my first message. I apologize for my English is not perfect, I'm trying to improve. :). I wanted to ask you an information.
I managed to change my iMac 17" Core 2 Duo with a Mac Pro 1.1, bought with little money.
On this Mac Pro I've read that you can install Mountain Lion and Mavericks even if they are not officially supported, using a small program that “simulates” booting the 64-bit.
I wanted, however understand one thing..to be able To install both Mountain Lyon or Mavericks is required, however, to also change the graphics card or can I use the one that is currently in use in the Mac Pro (GeForce 7300 GT) ?
If I have to change which graphics card with a modest price recommended ?
Thanks,
Vincenzo

alinux

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
if you want to upgrade past lion,then yes you need a better video card than 7300 GT !
i have a mac pro 1.1 and i got a pc radeon hd 5770 and i flashed it yesterday to support efi boot. and its worth it.
graphic card price ? that depends on your country and what you can find.
my xfx hd 5770 1gb was 74$ (not new)

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Alinux,
many thanks for your information.
I would like to make you other questions.
This weekend I found a project called MacPostFactor, and many people state that it has been possible to carry out the installation of ML using the graphics card GeForce 7300 GT.
Do you think that may be so, or no ?
The other question I wanted to ask you regarding the monitor. My monitor only has VGA input while the video card has DVI output. If I were to buy a cable that makes the conversion (DVI to VGA) do you think that there might be problems ?
Thanks.

alinux

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
its not worth it.. 7300GT is a very very low videocard ! its okay to use it on lion and other older os, yes you can install it,but it will run like s***. it will drag your os down.
and about your dvi or vga,it will not make a difference. the card will work as it should be.
if you want you can buy an adapter for your videocard. they are very cheap,that is if you dont have one.
DVI-VGA-Adapter.jpg

also until you have a good video card and enough ram...i suggest sticking with a supported OS
like snow leopard,it runs great,if you have more ram like 4 gb then go for lion.

Last edited:

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hello,
thanks again for your answers..
And they should not just try to install Mountain Lion ?
Regarding the adapter, I am very undecided whether to take an adapter to connect to the video, or if you get a cable that converts from DVI to VGA
I wanted further clarification..But the adapter that you have indicated should not be male instead of female ?
Thanks,
Vincenzo

CapnDavey

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2015
It will look like dog do do I tried that on my 06 macbook pro it ran but was slow and ran like crap. What i did with my 06 mac pro I got a cheap ATI HD4870 they run 30 to 50 dollars used and flashed it from DOS on my mac pro easy.

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
It will look like dog do do I tried that on my 06 macbook pro it ran but was slow and ran like crap. What i did with my 06 mac pro I got a cheap ATI HD4870 they run 30 to 50 dollars used and flashed it from DOS on my mac pro easy.

Flashed it from DOS ?
Do you mean that you bought a card for a regular computer and then it was used inside a MAC Pro ?
Thanks,
Vincenzo

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hello,
yesterday I took the Mac Pro and I have to say that as the machine is really very, very performance despite being a Mac about 10 years ago.
I have only one doubt now.
Currently the graphics card is the GeForce 7300 that I found not to be compatible with 10.8. I did some research and I discovered that it is possible to change the graphics card and using a hack to install the 10.8 on the Mac old.
What is the graphics card better be able to do this installation ?
I also discovered that you can still install a video card for the PC even on a Mac by modifying the BIOS.
Advice then buy a PC card and then modify it for Mac ?
Thanks,
Vincenzo

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
A used Radoen HD 5770 is a great choice for the MacPro 1,1. Runs every OS starting with 10.6.x up to El Capitan and can easily be flashed for boot screens. Should be around 50$ on eBay.

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
Fox River Valley , Illinois
Hello,
yesterday I took the Mac Pro and I have to say that as the machine is really very, very performance despite being a Mac about 10 years ago.
I have only one doubt now.
Currently the graphics card is the GeForce 7300 that I found not to be compatible with 10.8. I did some research and I discovered that it is possible to change the graphics card and using a hack to install the 10.8 on the Mac old.
What is the graphics card better be able to do this installation ?
I also discovered that you can still install a video card for the PC even on a Mac by modifying the BIOS.
Advice then buy a PC card and then modify it for Mac ?
Thanks,
Vincenzo

An ATI 5770 is a slam-dunk general purpose choice for a Mac Pro 1,1 modded to run OS X 10.8.x to 10.10.5 . I have not tried El Cap yet with this . It is not hard to EFI flash a PC Edition 5770 to work in a Mac .
[doublepost=1456844242][/doublepost]
Flashed it from DOS ?
Do you mean that you bought a card for a regular computer and then it was used inside a MAC Pro ?
Thanks,
Vincenzo

The best way to EFI flash PC Edition video cards is within a real PC running DOS . You cannot EFI flash in a computer running OS X . And it is not advisable to EFI flash using Windows . Once EFI flashed , reinstall the video card in your Mac Pro 1,1 .

Last edited:

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hello,
thanks for the reply.
Now I can see well, what to buy, because the biggest problem for me is not so much buying the card, but to find a Windows computer where I can install the adapter and do the flash of the graphics card.
Unfortunately at home I have only Mac and so for me it is difficult.
I have read that there is FreeDOS, but I don't know if it's the same thing.
What do you recommend ?

alinux

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2011
i flashed mine with my mac! you dont need another pc!
just folow the guide here http://forum.netkas.org/index.php/topic,692.0.html
also install 5770 on first slot and 7300Gt on second slot !
you will be using 7300GT to power up your mac with it.
when you are ready to flash and you have all files,also you prepared your rom,before you start anything make sure you write in dos "atiflash -i" so it will show you on what slot is your 5770 ! exmple: your 5770 will be on slot 0 then the flash command will be "atiflash -p 0 -f myrom.rom"

Good luck

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hello,
thanks for the reply.
I am only asking you some information. No read that there are different models of the card HD 5770. I can take any or you need a specific model of that card ?
Thanks,
Vincenzo

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hello,
I researched on the used and I have been offered two different cards.
The first card is a ATI HD 5770 for the PC that I have to make the conversion to MAC for 40 euro. The second adapter is an ATI HD 5870 specification for MAC (80 euro).
From what I understand, some people say that the HD 5870 works while other people say that does not work.
Which is the best choice according to you ?
Thanks,
Vincenzo

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
An Apple 5870 for 80 euro is quite good value I think. Is it an original Apple card, or just a PC card flashed for Mac?

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
The card seems to be unmounted from a Mac Pro. I believe in the version 3.1. But I wonder is it compatible with my Mac Pro 1.1 ?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
The card seems to be unmounted from a Mac Pro. I believe in the version 3.1. But I wonder is it compatible with my Mac Pro 1.1 ?

Yes a 5870 will work in the MP 1,1.

That price is quite low though, especially if it's a genuine Apple card removed from a Mac Pro. Probably it is a flashed PC 5870. A picture would of the actual item would clear that up.

vincenzo79

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 17, 2016
Rome, Italy
Hello to all,
I thank all the people that they are giving me support.
Below I have inserted the images related to your graphics card.
From what I've read on the internet seems to be compatible with the Mac Pro in my possession.
What do you think ?

Attachments

• IMG_20160302_131304.jpg
    IMG_20160302_131304.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_20160302_131332.jpg
    IMG_20160302_131332.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 144

r6mile

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
London, UK
That looks like a genuine Apple card. If so, a great deal at €80! Is it from a private individual, or from a retailer?

Fl0r!an

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2007
Pretty sure it's a flashed card for that price. Which connectors does it have? 2x miniDisplayPort and DVI? Or 2x DVI, DisplayPort and HDMI?

Machines

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2015
Fox River Valley , Illinois
Hello to all,
I thank all the people that they are giving me support.
Below I have inserted the images related to your graphics card.
From what I've read on the internet seems to be compatible with the Mac Pro in my possession.
What do you think ?
This is definitely not a Mac Edition card - the card support guide looks like it is for a Dell workstation .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.