Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Yeah, it is. But as long as you allow umps as old as I am to work games, you're not going to mitigate this problem. It's a data-based marker. Managers use "the metrics" to make decisions, why not mine the data to root out lower performing umpires? But yeah, in lawsuit happy America, it would never work. Golden parachutes??

But isn't just that, 50 is not very old for an official. If Tom Brady can play QB untill 44, umps can work until at least 60. Gordie Howe played hockey until he was 50.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
But isn't just that, 50 is not very old for an official. If Tom Brady can play QB untill 44, umps can work until at least 60. Gordie Howe played hockey until he was 50.
That wild suggestion comes from the study finding that the older umps were the poor performers. I believe the authors of the study would say, yes, 50 is old for an ump, if you're grading performance. They are physically capable of standing out on the field for three hours, sure, but while making more bad calls than the younger guys. Comparing the athletes to the officials might be useful in one respect. You can't say that an athlete in his late 40's, early 50's ever performed as well as he did in his prime. Play, yes, but at the highest level, no. The older umps are demonstrably impacting the game negatively, taking the bat out of a player's hands, almost literally.

But, yeah, I know, a mandatory retirement age significantly lower than that of the fans who have less demanding jobs will never be a popular idea.

Reactions: pachyderm

TechRunner

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2016
SW Florida, US
A pilot can fly a commercial airliner in the U.S. until age 65 which is a significantly more impactful-to-human-life job than umpiring. Forcing retirement on umps at 50 would be a hard sell. Just like autopilot primarily exists to take the mundane out of flying, the calling of balls and strikes will eventually be done electronically, IMO. With most everything else in the game being subject to video challenge, you leave the home plate ump in place to make calls related to that line of sight on the field, but take away the calling of balls and strikes.

Just my poorly thought-out two cents.

Don Quixote

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2023
A pilot can fly a commercial airliner in the U.S. until age 65 which is a significantly more impactful-to-human-life job than umpiring. Forcing retirement on umps at 50 would be a hard sell. Just like autopilot primarily exists to take the mundane out of flying, the calling of balls and strikes will eventually be done electronically, IMO. With most everything else in the game being subject to video challenge, you leave the home plate ump in place to make calls related to that line of sight on the field, but take away the calling of balls and strikes.

Just my poorly thought-out two cents.
I agree with that policy.

Reactions: TechRunner

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
No where near as bad as the Rockies. Can’t believe Bud hasn’t been fired yet.
*The Chicago White Sox have entered the chat. The Rockies are 6-19 lol.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 10.54.54 AM.png

jeremz1ne

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Reno,Nv
Yawns, wish Artie would just sell the Angels already, our team is trash our pitching is garbage minus acouple players and so did i mention Rendon wont be back anytime soon he's hurt again lmfao never ending saga

Bodhitree

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2021
Netherlands
Well I have settled into a season of watching the Red Sox selectively. I’m honestly not expecting them to finish far from the bottom of the AL East, with a rotation made mostly of rookies. But I enjoyed the 17-0 thrashing of the Cubs.

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
Well I have settled into a season of watching the Red Sox selectively. I’m honestly not expecting them to finish far from the bottom of the AL East, with a rotation made mostly of rookies. But I enjoyed the 17-0 thrashing of the Cubs.
Same. With Casas, Story, Pivetta and Bello all going on the IL this early into the season, I'm not expecting much from them at all. Story being out for the entire year though is a huge kick to the nuts for the Red Sox though because he finally got healthy again 🤦‍♂️. It's like Sale all over again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.