Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cyberish

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
I need a Mountain Lion 10.8.5 installation with the 32bit mach kernel on a actually supported mac. (Mac Pro 3,1 with a Radeon X2600 graphic card)
I cloned the MLPF 0.3 Mac OS 10.8.5 hd partition from a late 2006 iMac which is perfectly working with it.
Now I can start from that cloned hdd from the MacPro but the graphic card is not working properly. System report sees the card but graphic acceleration seems to be missing. (Actually the display on the DVI port has a general name which has nothing to do with the monitor connected to it. ) Running Novabench f.e. exits in saying that the graphic card is not properly installed. (Copying the Open Cl. and Gl. frameworks from a "real" mountain lion doesn't help.) - Running Preview on the otherhand doesn't load picture formats correctly. The apps window frame stays white. - PDF a loading ok. )

What steps do I have to do the get that thing working?
thx

cyberish

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
I need a Mountain Lion 10.8.5 installation with the 32bit mach kernel on a actually supported mac. (Mac Pro 3,1 with a Radeon X2600 graphic card)
I cloned the MLPF 0.3 Mac OS 10.8.5 hd partition from a late 2006 iMac which is perfectly working with it.
Now I can start from that cloned hdd from the MacPro but the graphic card is not working properly. System report sees the card but graphic acceleration seems to be missing. (Actually the display on the DVI port has a general name which has nothing to do with the monitor connected to it. ) Running Novabench f.e. exits in saying that the graphic card is not properly installed. (Copying the Open Cl. and Gl. frameworks from a "real" mountain lion doesn't help.) - Running Preview on the otherhand doesn't load picture formats correctly. The apps window frame stays white. - PDF a loading ok. )

What steps do I have to do the get that thing working?
thx
Up, up, nobody?

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Hi,

MLPF is designed only for unsupported macs meaning your actual supported graphical extensions have been scrapped for ours. Replacing the OpenGL framework is not going to help. You need to reinstall Mac OS X Mountain Lion the correct way.

Isiah Johnson
OS X Hackers Webmaster/Support

cyberish

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Hi,

MLPF is designed only for unsupported macs meaning your actual supported graphical extensions have been scrapped for ours. Replacing the OpenGL framework is not going to help. You need to reinstall Mac OS X Mountain Lion the correct way.

Isiah Johnson
OS X Hackers Webmaster/Support

Hi!
thank you. What I'm actually looking for is a working ML 10.8.5 version with the 32bit kernel... !

cyberish

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Anybody running a MacPro 3,1 with ML 10.8.5 - 32bit kernel? (The "Unsupported Mac - thing on a actually supported Mac... )

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Anybody running a MacPro 3,1 with ML 10.8.5 - 32bit kernel? (The "Unsupported Mac - thing on a actually supported Mac... )
What is it that you're actually hoping to do with a 32-bit kernel on a Mac Pro?

cyberish

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
I've some audio interface hardware (drivers) which only work in 32bit. Actually they run smoothly on a "unsupported" late 2006 iMac in 10.8.5 . So I was hoping to "clone" that experience on the Mac Pro...

DearthnVader

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2015
Red Springs, NC
I think ML is 64bit only, meaning you could recompile the mach_kernel for 32bit, but all the other extensions would be 64bit so the system wouldn't load.

Better to just stick with an older macOS.

parrotgeek1

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2016
CA, USA
You need to copy the graphics drivers for your gpu out of 10.7.5. mlpf ONLY has the older ones

the things which say amd/ati x2000 in the name. install with kext utility

ALSO
sudo nvram boot-args=arch=i386

P.S. what you are doing is an absolutely horrifying hack. But I am happy to help. May the force be with you.

cyberish

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2013
Thx Parrotgeek ! great, I'll try this :) - What's so horrifying about this hack o_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.