Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mctskater

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2020
Did you sign up for MLS Season Pass? If so, what are your first impressions? How does it compare to how you watched games last season? What are your hopes moving forward for this services?

Personally, I like the no game blackouts and that I’ll be able to watch a game anytime and anywhere. I think the price is a little steep, but I only watch/follow one team. I’m glad I was able to use the T-Mobile promo code.
I hope the pre and post coverage/game show keeps maturing.

Reactions: mrsmith1

mrsmith1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2017
Nottingham, England
I'm hoping this is a massive success and on the back of it something similar will happen in the UK. As a Nottingham Forest fan I'd love their to be a PL season pass so I can watch all the Forest games I can't get a ticket to, ie all the away games, not just the few Sky/BT Sport/Amazon broadcast.

Reactions: mallbritton

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
I've been enjoying it very much so far. I think the production is good quality, the picture is clear and sharp (hopefully 4K in coming seasons?), the on screen graphics are kept to a minimum and the commentators know their stuff. This "season pass" has all the features I've been missing from my Sunday Ticket sub, and the ability to go back and time-shift games is one of the best. I no longer have to hunt down when/where the games are on.

I also was able to take advantage of the T-Mobile promo, but I would have happily paid the $80 for a yearly sub. Here's hoping the new pricing for Sunday Ticket from YouTube TV/YouTube will have a similar price. But I'm not holding my breath for that.

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
The streaming quality and the option for the local audio broadcast is awesome. I live in Colorado but am originally from Washington so I'm a Sounders fan and it's great to be able to catch every game in an easy way. My only extremely minor complaint is that the on screen graphics seem a little small and the (Helvetica Neue?) font is kind of pixelated on my 56" 1080p plasma at least. I would love for this to happen to the PL as well but I'm sure that would be far down the line and a massive undertaking/expense.

mctskater

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2020
The streaming quality and the option for the local audio broadcast is awesome. I live in Colorado but am originally from Washington so I'm a Sounders fan and it's great to be able to catch every game in an easy way. My only extremely minor complaint is that the on screen graphics seem a little small and the (Helvetica Neue?) font is kind of pixelated on my 56" 1080p plasma at least. I would love for this to happen to the PL as well but I'm sure that would be far down the line and a massive undertaking/expense.
I’ve heard about the local audio broadcast as an option. How do you choose it? I only see English and Spanish.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
it would be good if they had a highlights show as part of normal apple+ which would maybe encourage football fans to get into MLS.

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
Did you sign up for MLS Season Pass? If so, what are your first impressions?
I do not own the Apple TV device but paid for a year intending to watch on the TV.app on my Mac. I need to watch replays because the time differences to Hawaii mean most games are too early. Watching delays should also allows watching two games that take place at the same time.

I was surprised to find that there is no way to turn off the scores of completed games as there apparently is with the hardware device. I have brought this up on the official Apple support forum and found that I was not alone in this problem. I now believe that Apple knows full well of this problem but has cynically decided to leave the app gateway partially crippled in order to enhance sales of the device and have cancelled my Season Pass for next year. Gone back to the Premier League on NBC/USA/Peacock.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I’d happily pay $100 a year for Premiere League Football season pass.
YES!!!!! peacock is great when working as the two weekends ago were dismal in the Liverpool-Spurs match was delayed and sometimes the selected match does not start after 15 minutes of that music and graphic string the match will start.
we need a better solution now!

Kanunu

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2009
Hawaii
YES!!!!! peacock is great when working as the two weekends ago were dismal in the Liverpool-Spurs match was delayed and sometimes the selected match does not start after 15 minutes of that music and graphic string the match will start.
we need a better solution now!
Yes Peacock is far from not flawless but at least it does not intentionally publish spoilers. For me their biggest drawback us frequentl and too long delays before posing replays.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
Yes Peacock is far from not flawless but at least it does not intentionally publish spoilers. For me their biggest drawback us frequentl and too long delays before posing replays.
and Rebeca Lowe has a sense of humor still, they asked if the late Saturday 0-0 snooze-fest would be in he memoirs.
she laughed and said probably not....

I enjoy the spontaneity of the NBC football crew at times!

Ahmamies

Cancelled
Oct 13, 2020
I do not own the Apple TV device but paid for a year intending to watch on the TV.app on my Mac. I need to watch replays because the time differences to Hawaii mean most games are too early. Watching delays should also allows watching two games that take place at the same time.

I was surprised to find that there is no way to turn off the scores of completed games as there apparently is with the hardware device. I have brought this up on the official Apple support forum and found that I was not alone in this problem. I now believe that Apple knows full well of this problem but has cynically decided to leave the app gateway partially crippled in order to enhance sales of the device and have cancelled my Season Pass for next year. Gone back to the Premier League on NBC/USA/Peacock.
The ”turn off scores” setting is actually also missing on Apple TV hardware outside US. Or at least it’s missing on our both Apple TVs (Finland). Someone claimed that it’s missing everywhere but US.

It is available on our PS5 and XBox though…

Ahmamies

Cancelled
Oct 13, 2020
The ”turn off scores” setting is actually also missing on Apple TV hardware outside US. Or at least it’s missing on our both Apple TVs (Finland). Someone claimed that it’s missing everywhere but US.

It is available on our PS5 and XBox though…
The “show sport scores” setting is now available on both our AppleTV boxes.

Either it is the latest sw (17.1) or it appeared after I removed Finnish as “Apple TV language” (we use English but I noticed that Finnish was also in the “Apple TV language” setting).

One problem solved. Now I wish I could fix the “Now playing” that has stopped updating itself on all my devices 🙁

audiomixer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Idaho
Never was keen on mls. I’m more a dutch eredivisie fan. However i thought i would watch a couple of the free games this season and i must say i was impressed. The quality of play has really improved since i last watched (15ish years ago). I think i will sign up for next season.

Ahmamies

Cancelled
Oct 13, 2020
Never was keen on mls. I’m more a dutch eredivisie fan. However i thought i would watch a couple of the free games this season and i must say i was impressed. The quality of play has really improved since i last watched (15ish years ago). I think i will sign up for next season.
I am thinking about it too. The English Premier League is too expensive and the MLS value for money is good enough.

By the way isn’t Apple showing the MLS final free this weekend?

audiomixer

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2007
Idaho
I am thinking about it too. The English Premier League is too expensive and the MLS value for money is good enough.

By the way isn’t Apple showing the MLS final free this weekend?
I think it is or at least to apple tv+ subscribers.

Last edited:

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
The game will be free to everyone to watch via the TV app, regardless of subscription. It will also be available on your local Fox affiliate and Fox Deportes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.