Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I helped someone transfer their data from Android to iOS and something which stood out after the transfer is that MMS cannot be sent without mobile data being turned on, on the latter but it could on Android. I googled it and the answers I got suggested that MMS is not possible without data on period, but this is not the case as the same sim was happily sending MMS messages on the old device with data switched off but not on ios. I also tried it on another person's Android device whilst in the same room - data off, MMS successfully sent.

Is it only iOS that requires data to be on in order to send MMS messages?

Baldilocks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2012
Delaware, USA
I helped someone transfer their data from Android to iOS and something which stood out after the transfer is that MMS cannot be sent without mobile data being turned on, on the latter but it could on Android. I googled it and the answers I got suggested that MMS is not possible without data on period, but this is not the case as the same sim was happily sending MMS messages on the old device with data switched off but not on ios. I also tried it on another person's Android device whilst in the same room - data off, MMS successfully sent.

Is it only iOS that requires data to be on in order to send MMS messages?

All MMS requires a data connection. (Cellular or WiFi) Doesn’t matter if it’s iOS or Android.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
All MMS requires a data connection. (Cellular or WiFi) Doesn’t matter if it’s iOS or Android.
My google research suggested that it must be cellular. What other settings need to be changed because I was sat in the same room with an android phone and an iPhone, both on the same Wi-fi connection and both with data off yet the android sent and received whilst the iPhone did neither.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
have you checked that mms services are right? (settings - mobile network - mobile data network - MMS)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.