Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Hi All,

My father is 80+ and lives alone quite successfully. We have is whole house wired with smart light bulbs/scenes etc. He is pretty good at Siri but sometimes not as patient as he would need to be. We've all been there where we use our "commands" and Siri gets confused.

He asked if there was a button/remote type thing that he could carry around to trigger certain commands? And yes, we all first think of the iPhone ;-) . But more one button press turns on all the lights, two turn it off, maybe three presses turn on an alarm?

I'm not quite sure what all he would like it to do. It mostly sounds like a "panic" button?

Thanks for any and all advice? I did a quick google search and the flic 2 seems to fit the bill. Any other thoughts? Does anyone have any experience with them?

Philly

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I feel a panic button should be a whole separate thing here. For everything else, though, a Hue wall switch has four independent buttons that are capable of being programmed to initiate HomeKit scenes and it can be carried around.

I don't think any HomeKit "single button" can natively command different scenes based on how many times it was clicked. I could be wrong.

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
Onvis Smart Button with Matter and Thread.
5 Buttons (+press/doublepress/longpress)

My config: The centered button is for all devices on and notification over shortcuts in iOS. = panic button

Long press everything off

Double click: only media off

The other 4 buttons are for radio on homepods, volume…

Can be customized in Apple Home for all five buttons.

Works reliable and instantly without delay and need almost no battery due to Thread. Needs Homepod (mini) or AppleTV 4k 128 gb as border router for Matter/Thread.

Reactions: b17777

b17777

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2008
St.Paul MN
I have an Aqara button (which needs an Aqara hub) in the room with my TV, One push turns on two lamps at 100% if I want more light to eat. Two pushes shuts them both off. Long push sets it to one off and one to 10% to watch TV after sunset and is the default setting at night. TUO has a button that is Thread which should be able to do the same thing using a HomePod or Apple TV as a border router I would think.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
I feel a panic button should be a whole separate thing here. For everything else, though, a Hue wall switch has four independent buttons that are capable of being programmed to initiate HomeKit scenes and it can be carried around.
I agree a panic button should be separate from other home automation functions. Double use of a home automation button for summoning help sounds like a recipe for false alarms.

If he has a security system, many have panic buttons. If he fas an Apple Watch, that also can be used to signal for help.

phillyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you for the feedback, I like the Onvis button . I think the "panic" button was not phrased by me correctly. I think he wants a lights on/off button that maybe even triggers a shortcut. He is in the process of investigating a new alarm system.

Yes he has an Apple Watch that could function for that. I think he might find that "fiddly" Also with HomePods in every room: he can just have that call anyone or 911? But I also don't like those solutions since wifi/internet/power dependent.

Thank you for the feedback.
Philly

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Thank you for the feedback, I like the Onvis button . I think the "panic" button was not phrased by me correctly. I think he wants a lights on/off button that maybe even triggers a shortcut. He is in the process of investigating a new alarm system.

Yes he has an Apple Watch that could function for that. I think he might find that "fiddly" Also with HomePods in every room: he can just have that call anyone or 911? But I also don't like those solutions since wifi/internet/power dependent.

Thank you for the feedback.
Philly
Some alarm systems connect primarily with WiFi but have cellular and battery backup Along with emergency services.

SCP

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2017
OP -

Ditto on the Onvis, we have six of those placed around our house. The only catch with the Onvis is the thickness, not too bad, but would be even better if Onvis had made another version the size of a rocker switch which leads me to ask if you have a bridge or device of some flavor (HB, HA, Homey, etc.) that provides you the ability to use z-wave with your system. If so, the Zooz Zen34 is another great option with similar programming abilities, just not as many buttons but slimmer and easier to carry with magnetic wall switch "dock" that makes it blend in with your other wall switches.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
OP -

Ditto on the Onvis, we have six of those placed around our house. The only catch with the Onvis is the thickness, not too bad, but would be even better if Onvis had made another version the size of a rocker switch which leads me to ask if you have a bridge or device of some flavor (HB, HA, Homey, etc.) that provides you the ability to use z-wave with your system. If so, the Zooz Zen34 is another great option with similar programming abilities, just not as many buttons but slimmer and easier to carry with magnetic wall switch "dock" that makes it blend in with your other wall switches.
Another option for users with HB/HA is a Lutron hub and pico remotes. I got a lot of 10 on eBay for $120 not too long ago. If you bridge the Caseta hub via homebridge plugin (vs native HomeKit integration) you can integrate into HomeKit and even do more than stock with the Picos.

SCP

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2017
Another option for users with HB/HA is a Lutron hub and pico remotes. I got a lot of 10 on eBay for $120 not too long ago. If you bridge the Caseta hub via homebridge plugin (vs native HomeKit integration) you can integrate into HomeKit and even do more than stock with the Picos.
Sounds like you got a great deal on that many, but I've been there, done that, problem is having to deal with the Caseta hub. IMO not worth the hassle, especially since back then we had some of the Aeotec minimotes. The NanoMote Quad is another option, but again, requires z-wave in the system.

erihp

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2020
Sounds like you got a great deal on that many, but I've been there, done that, problem is having to deal with the Caseta hub. IMO not worth the hassle, especially since back then we had some of the Aeotec minimotes. The NanoMote Quad is another option, but again, requires z-wave in the system.
the caseta hub has always been very reliable for me. never posed an issue, was also purchased second hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.