Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikaelSmoot

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
just signed up for mobile me and i got the two month free trial, but i bought an activation code from amazon, i know i go to mobileme.com/activate

but should i turn off automatic renewal and if so how do i turn it off dont seeit int he settings

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
You should wait to use the pre-purchased activation key until the last few days of your trial because that's two extra months you will get out of it. It is completely up to you as to whether you want to enable auto renewal or not. I don't have it on because I have two years worth of MobileMe keys that I got a discount on, so in the last few weeks I just renew it myself. To mess with that setting log into me.com and go to the preferences icon, then click on the "Account Options" tab on the left, and then there should be a checkbox under renew.

To go directly to that page go to: https://secure.me.com/account/#&navIndex=3 (Maybe)

MikaelSmoot

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
when i go to account settings there no button, just cancel account, end trial, and account summary

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
Sorry, I forgot, that button will only appear when it has some type of credit card information or way or charging you.

Revelation78

macrumors 68000
Dec 18, 2008
North Carolina
You can also put it in anytime you want, you will not "lose" those two free months, it will "charge" the code you input at the end of your trial period.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
My MM account expires in April. A month ago I entered my renewal key at mobileme.com/activate as I don't have credit card info stored on MM. The MM account will automatically use the renewal key on the day my account were to expire. So no time lost.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
Okay, then never mind MikaelSmoot you should use the activation key now. And you don't need to worry about it automatically charging you as they don't have your info. However, I don't know what will give them that info. If you buy a song on itunes, or do anything with a credit card on that account, it may keep it and automatically turn on automatic updates. Can anyone confirm this?

rorschach

macrumors 68020
Jul 27, 2003
I believe the activation key will automatically renew it on the expiration date. At least that is how mine did it.

My MobileMe account was going to expire on December 3, 2009 and it automatically renewed on that date, expiring on December 3, 2010.

I also had a complimentary activation key that I hadn't used. I just entered it in, and it did not apply the activation key immediately (ie so that my account would expire on January 24, 2011) but instead the key will be applied on December 3, 2010 when this year expires, and will last until December 3, 2011.

mobileme.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.