Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 27, 2006
I’m getting a new iPad Mini on launch day next Friday. I’d originally ordered a Wi-Fi only model but have changed that now to go for the cellular model instead (for ease of connectivity when out and about).

It’s my first cellular model. Does anyone know if I can use any mobile sim in the iPad (as long as it’s nano sized)?

I’ve seen the prices for data tablet sims and they’re daylight robbery here in the UK and I can get a mobile sim with unlimited data for a lot, lot cheaper.

Help appreciated, and it would be good to see if there’s any limitations if I do go down this route.

Loopy65

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2008
Wales, UK
I’m getting a new iPad Mini on launch day next Friday. I’d originally ordered a Wi-Fi only model but have changed that now to go for the cellular model instead (for ease of connectivity when out and about).

It’s my first cellular model. Does anyone know if I can use any mobile sim in the iPad (as long as it’s nano sized)?

I’ve seen the prices for data tablet sims and they’re daylight robbery here in the UK and I can get a mobile sim with unlimited data for a lot, lot cheaper.

Help appreciated, and it would be good to see if there’s any limitations if I do go down this route.
Yup, I’ve been told by EE that you can. I’ve just got a tablet sim 4GB for £6.50 a month with EE which will be great. I have 200GB allowance for my phone which I can gift as needed.

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
> I’ve seen the prices for USA data tablet sims and they’re daylight robbery

Fixed that for you. USA is dominated by free market cell and internet providers. Can’t get anything resembling great service for low prices. Makes me not spend the extra for cell models. Hurts spending in other areas as well.

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
I switch between EE and Three sims in my Mini 5 regularly. Looking at the comparison the Apple site shows no difference as far as sims go, so you should be fine.

Reactions: atiffarooq

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Yup, I’ve been told by EE that you can. I’ve just got a tablet sim 4GB for £6.50 a month with EE which will be great. I have 200GB allowance for my phone which I can gift as needed.
May not matter to you but I don’t think that’s going to be 5G. I just had to pay £12 for 10GB (could have done £10 for 4GB) 5G phone SIM for my 12.9 2021 iPad Pro. I have unlimited data on my phone so can gift 100GB a month :)

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Thanks all. Just got a 5G VOXI sim ready for when the iPad arrives!
That’s about your choice, or it’s a Smarty plan although they don’t do 5G yet, or the newish 1P mobile 50GB a month deal for £15 a month, they run in the EE network.

L T

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2013
UK
Do I need to get a tablet specific data only sim cars or will one meant for a phone with miunutes and messages on the plan still work for data only?

*~Kim~*

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2013
UK
Check the terms and conditions of the sim you use. It will work with any sim, but the provider would block it eventually if their terms said phones only.

There are less providers taking an issue with what you do with your data now than in the past, and less still with just putting a sim in an iPad (some deals prohibit tethering.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.