Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Does the Mobileme backup work in a similar way to Time Machine, in that it only copies new or modified files, or does it copy the entire directory each time?

I have a documents folder of 8.5GB and want to set a weekly backup but if it copies the whole folder each time firstly it will take days to backup and also it won't be able to store many backups with the 20GB limit.

davidgreem

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2010
As per my knowledge MobileMe everytime backup a full directory instead of the selected files recommended by you so it works as per time machine as you opted ones for backup all the updates untill that time will include to that.so you need to take care of your limits also replace the old one with new every time.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
I guessed as much. I know Dropbox only uploads files that have changed but doesn't have a backup tool.

Is there anything out there that achieves this?

Siriosys

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
New Zealand
Hi Discofuel,

I use Backup.app (MobileMe) every day at startup on my Mac and my findings are different from what you've been told.

Yes, it does a full backup the first time you create the set, but everytime thereafter it only backs up the changed files which means that you're not waiting for 8+Gb to backup each day. My backup is a similar size to yours.

Deleting an old set from time to time isn't a bad idea either.

discofuel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 21, 2010
Hi Discofuel,

I use Backup.app (MobileMe) every day at startup on my Mac and my findings are different from what you've been told.

Yes, it does a full backup the first time you create the set, but everytime thereafter it only backs up the changed files which means that you're not waiting for 8+Gb to backup each day. My backup is a similar size to yours.

Deleting an old set from time to time isn't a bad idea either.

Ok great - just what I was hoping for :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.