Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Hi

I'm considering to subscribe MobileMe service to sync my contact, calendar and bookmarks across my iMac and my MacBook Pro. I need also to sync my Documents folder to have the SAME data in the two computer. I tried to use Dropbox in his free version (2 GB of space) and this in really what i need: my files are stored in my computer and Dropbox sync that file with the server and in the other computer files are downloaded so i can access it without internet connection and with the same speed of the other file stored in my HDD. Today i subscribed the trial version of MobileMe and I'm surprised to see that iDisk don't use the Dropbox method. Every time i access file it is downloaded at that time. This cause 2 problem:

1) Speed problem: when I want to open big files i need to wait the download. I think that there' a cache to improve speed but all files in iDisk are cached in my local HDD?

2) When i go away with my laptop, if my MacBook isn't connected to the internet I can't use my iDisk files? is That true?

i Think that the correct way is the one implemented in Dropbox. The only Dropbox problem is the powerful calendar, bookmarks MobileMe Sync.
What do you think about that? Thanks

P.S. Sorry for my very bad English.

Koronis

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2009
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
go to system preferences>mobileme>idisk, at the bottom of the pane is a setting for syncing, turning on sync will keep a local copy of iDisk on your computer

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
Thanks a lot! This in exactly what I need! The only strange thing is that the file download/upload is really really slow! I've a good internet connection with 10 Mbit in download and 10 Mbit in upload so its strange. It's a server problem? Its possible that the MobileMe Server are slow??

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
uploading and downloading to/from iDisk is well slow here in UK (probably europe too)... i don't know why apple can't get their **** together!

i use dropbox's free 2gb service anyway... very fast!

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I used Dropbox too and it is really really fast but MobileMe is wonderful for Bookmarks, Contacts, Calendars and Keychain! i need at least 20 Gb and the correct way is to subscribe MobileMe and Dropbox together but it's so expensive! I have to decide between one of two!

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Billion with a "B"

Apple is Building a Billion (with a "B") server farm as we type. MM will improve when it opens - wouldn't you think?

Lucagfc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 23, 2008
I' we just finished test with MobileMe and Dropbox:

Added a 65 Mb files in Dropbox and MobileMe. I' ve measured time taken by the two service to upload the file and download it into another computer.

1) Dropbox: 10 min 2 sec
2) MobileMe: 11 min 4 sec

The difference is really small. MobileMe doesn't begin immediately upload when files is pasted in iDisk but wait 30 second. So the test result are identical.

After that test I think that I' ll choose MobileMe for best price and better additional service (Contacts, Calendar Bookmarks ecc).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.