Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

memo06dic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
I started syncing my idisk to my local drive trough:
System Preferences/MobileMe/iDisk/iDisk Sync: On

I need this to have access to some files even when I'm not online the question is: Does this local copy gets backed up to time machine?

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
I started syncing my idisk to my local drive trough:
System Preferences/MobileMe/iDisk/iDisk Sync: On

I need this to have access to some files even when I'm not online the question is: Does this local copy gets backed up to time machine?

Yes, in a way... A sparse image in your home / library / filesync folder that IS your local iDisk (when turned on) gets backed up by TM unless you tell it not to. I hope this answers your Q

frankjl

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
I do this to backup all my files.

I paid for the 60gb idisk. So what i did is i DRAGGED the folders from idisk into my finder sidebar and anytime i drop a file in ANY OF THE FOLDER (MUSIC,PHOTOS,DOCUMENTS ETC) it automatically backups to idisk.

I also have my music & photo collection linked to idisk and i have both iphoto and itunes linking directly to it.

I then tell TM to backup the folders.

I dont have to worry about loosing my files. Everything is automatically backed up to apple servers & TM. The beauty of it is that if i get a new mac all i do is type in my
username and all my fiels are transfereD from the cloud to my new computer :)

Very similar to how dropbox handles the backup. i DONT KNOW WHY APPLE FAILED TO PROMOTE THIS FEATURE.

Not a lot of people know they can do this.

jeremyisweary

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2010
Dallas, TX
I do this to backup all my files.

I paid for the 60gb idisk. So what i did is i DRAGGED the folders from idisk into my finder sidebar and anytime i drop a file in ANY OF THE FOLDER (MUSIC,PHOTOS,DOCUMENTS ETC) it automatically backups to idisk.

I also have my music & photo collection linked to idisk and i have both iphoto and itunes linking directly to it.

I then tell TM to backup the folders.

I dont have to worry about loosing my files. Everything is automatically backed up to apple servers & TM. The beauty of it is that if i get a new mac all i do is type in my
username and all my fiels are transfereD from the cloud to my new computer :)

Very similar to how dropbox handles the backup. i DONT KNOW WHY APPLE FAILED TO PROMOTE THIS FEATURE.

Not a lot of people know they can do this.

Is that similar to the Backup app? I saw the other day that the Backup app got updated, and I had no idea it existed. Right now, I have it backing up different application settings, mail, etc. to the iDisk. My goal is to have my iTunes collection backed up to iDisk. I'm willing to purchase additional storage if this is how this app actually works, and I'll be able to recover my music if something is to happen. Sorry for this stupid question, lol. I just have to make sure.

I've already lost a collection of music in college, and I don't want that to happen again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.