Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benhewitt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
so i've created a site in iweb. published it to my mobile me, played around with it for a bit to make it aesthetically pleasing. then bought my domain name from godaddy. renamed my cname and set my domain in my mobile me account. here's where i'm stumped. my website is coming up as "www.mydomainname.com/iwebsitename/page_.html"

how do i set it so that my site is just "www.mydomainname.com/?

any help is welcome! thanks in advance

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
You can change the 2 names after your domain name but it isnt easy to just have http://www.yourname.com when using iweb.

To change the iwebsitename you need to change the name that you called your first/main page in iweb, so open inspector and in "page" you will be able to change the name. then for page.html thats what your page is named, im guessing you have two pages? like i said rename with inspector.

You can mask your domain name via godaddy dns settings like i did in my site in my sig bellow, but i found out it doesnt work out all the time..

Perrumpo

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2008
I had wondered about this, too, and also if there's anything you can do about your other iWeb sites publishing to your personal domain name when you want them on the mobileme domain name.

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I already set up the CNAME and MobileMe to work together and it says it's working, but whenever I go to my domain, it just says that my domain is parked for free by godaddy.com. It did say when I set it up that it might take 48 hours for it to start working, but it's been a week and it's still not working. Any ideas?

redboxcar

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2009
I already set up the CNAME and MobileMe to work together and it says it's working, but whenever I go to my domain, it just says that my domain is parked for free by godaddy.com. It did say when I set it up that it might take 48 hours for it to start working, but it's been a week and it's still not working. Any ideas?

Does anyone know the answer to my above question? :confused:

moviebrain

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008

moviebrain

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008

First, clear your browser cache and try again. See if that fixes your problem.

If that still doesn't work double check you setup the "www" field correctly in your Godaddy control panel. If I remember correctly there is a www field and a cname field you need to update. MobileMe has a FAQ page about setting up GoDaddy hosting, so start from scratch step by step and don't assume you did it right the first time. It feels more complicated than it should be, but isn't. It's like forgetting a semicolon at the end of a programming statement... super easy to do but hard as hell to find when it throws errors at you.

Rich1963

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Use godaddy's help button, and then search using the term 'mobileme'. I am brand new to web design and uploading a site (just started yesterday), but using their directions, was able to get everything in order. As long as you follow their instructions step-by-step, it will work.

Oh, and their tech support line was very nice, too. They contacted me to welcome me as a new customer, and their tech department looked over my settings and confirmed everything was ready to go, but it just hadn't completely circulated through the internets yet.

Good luck. I'm finding learning to make a web site that has some nice interactive features is both a learning experience and rewarding when things final fall into place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.