Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Somhairle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 6, 2008
Ireland
After reading some posts here maybe MobileMe isn't for....me! :rolleyes:

Basically I'd like to sign up for MobileMe. More so because I want the webspace to host my blog and it seems that this would make more sense as I'd also gain all the other features MobileMe has to offer for what will probably be the same price as a seperate hosting package.

Basically, I have a blog at blogger.com but I want my own personal domain (.ie). I've read that some are having trouble registering their "other than .com" domain with MobileMe but I hope this will be fixed soon.

The simple option for me is to use iWeb and post it to me.com and have it forwarded to my .ie domain. BUT I'd prefer to use WordPress. Can I use WordPress if I sign up for MobileMe? Does it work like that? :confused:

I would post over at the Apple Support Forums but some people there are really rude! You guys seem a lot more friendlier.

Hope this made sense. I don't really understand it myself.

ricpac

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2008
WordPress on MobileMe. Not possible. WP requires a database. MobileMe doesn't have that.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I have blogs on both systems. For pure blogging WP or Blogger is the great. I have an iWeb produced MobileMe site for more of a mult-page mixed site, but as just a blog it would not measure up.

leonstafford

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Kyoto, Japan
Not impossible...

I'm also a WordPress fan and a devout Mac fan boy. Hence I have had my MobileMe / .Mac webspace for many years not being put to use due to a lack of server-side support.

Due to being down with a cold this weekend, I played around with a couple of things and came up with an alternative method to WordPress support on MobileMe hosting...

http://web.me.com/leon.stafford/wp/

While not for everyone, it does the job for me!

This will work for most php, ruby, perl,etc -based applications.

jc1350

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I'm also a WordPress fan and a devout Mac fan boy. Hence I have had my MobileMe / .Mac webspace for many years not being put to use due to a lack of server-side support.

Due to being down with a cold this weekend, I played around with a couple of things and came up with an alternative method to WordPress support on MobileMe hosting...

http://web.me.com/leon.stafford/wp/

While not for everyone, it does the job for me!

This will work for most php, ruby, perl,etc -based applications.

the first page loads in /wp, but all the links produce 404-file-not-found errors

Your links are omitting "leon.stafford."

leonstafford

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2007
Kyoto, Japan
the first page loads in /wp, but all the links produce 404-file-not-found errors

Your links are omitting "leon.stafford."

Thanks for the heads up! I had been testing with my private domain redirected to the MobileMe address and it somehow didn't care about the bad link code. I just fixed it now when I got home and it is working fine on both the private domain and the standard MobileMe address :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.