Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

S1njin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 3, 2010
NJ
Just had my iPhone 4 delivered (gosh work can't end soon enough). Now I have to debate the next issue here - what am I going to use for my cloud?

Google = Free but clunky in implementation (or so I read?)
MobileMe = $$ but smooth as silk

What say you guys?

TheGrudge

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2010
I've tried it every which way over the past few months. The best way for me, is to sync everything but calendars to MobileMe -- for calendars I use Google.

The main reason for doing it this way is that I use Outlook at work and I couldn't get my Outlook up to my MobileMe calendar. I also like how Google let's you add calendars such as holidays etc. You can do that with iCal but it treats these calendars as subscriptions and again, they won't sync up with the MobileMe website. Kind of a pain.

So yah, I'm happy with my setup. MobileMe contacts, email, bookmarks, notes, and find my phone -- and Google calendars

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
I use both... MobileMe for many years (with all it's ups and down's)...

If you are using a Mac + iPhone = MobileMe ALL THE WAY!

Windows - it's a toss up

sergiosala

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
I am a 2 years Mac user and I'm new about pushing and organizing myself with mac.

I use just one gmail account right now for everything, but I've seen some nice ideas like using one for work, personal, stuff.
What do you when you use Gmail but are into Mobileme?

Can you give me the advice if I change totally to me.com? Meaning that I have Mac OS X and iPhone.
(Also the username I have in me.com is the one I always wanted!)

Thank you.

mppix

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
New Orleans
MobileMe For Me

I have been using MobileMe for about two years and I love it. I also love that I upload directly from Aperture so my clients can access jobs faster than ever. It saves me a lot of time and money not to mention that Find My iPhone alone is worth if you only need it once.

microcolt

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
I've had Mobile Me back from when it was still called .Mac. For me, I'm a neat freak, I guess I've got some sort of OCD thing going on but Mobile Me just clears everything up for me big time.

I'm a really big Note, Email, and iDisk user so wherever I go my data goes with me. I can easily go from one mac to another in seconds and don't forget my phone.

Let me put it to you this way. I was able to setup my iPhone(just basics) with contacts, calendars, notes and all in about 30 seconds. I was able to setup my new MacBook Pro in about 5 minutes just by entering my email and password.

So to me the $100 a year is practically a joke.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I can say MobileMe just introduced the mail rules which was always available on Gmail. Overall I enough Google mail over MobileMe. If you have Google Apps Premier, you can use Postini filtering which is even more robust.

In terms of sync, they offer similar sync services from contacts to calendars, with MobileMe offering their own preferences syncing on Macs and the Find My iPhone interface for finding your misplaced iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. It makes initial setups a piece of cake. I have a family account (as the master) and it's easy to manage sub-accounts via the web control panel.

As a plus in the Google department, they have much wider integration support with devices; they can sync with Blackberry and Symbian devices; they have an Outlook plug-in for work; the do sync well with Apple Mail.

Overall, I enjoy both services and they suit my different needs; for home email I use MobileMe to synchronize my machines and devices. For my work, I use Google Apps Premier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.