Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark.g4

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2023
It’s not worth it to spend money on modifying this monitor. With 400-500 dollars, you can buy excellent 4k monitors, much more performant than this ACD.
This ACD 30" is a beautiful piece of art and technology, you can still use it, but not for professional work.
Poor color gamut, especially if the lamps have many hours of work.

marosa32

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
Made some progress with this, but the LEDs are not bright enough.

Full disassembly of the display is no small feat.

Have got some new LEDs to try which will hopefully be brighter. For now I am just going to leave them fully powered but I will aim to add in a brightness controller.

Annoyingly I couldn't workout the pinout from the connector from the controller board to the inverter board, so current setup is with the LEDs directly powered from the supply input 24v.
Good night, how has the process evolved? I want to change the backlight of an imac 24" 2006 because I am doing a mod. I bought high power LED strips (these are the ones that are usually used as lamps) and I will connect them to the LCD controller board. I would like to know if it went well and if you got one correct light diffusion. Thanks Best regards.

rorydaredking

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2014
Good night, how has the process evolved? I want to change the backlight of an imac 24" 2006 because I am doing a mod. I bought high power LED strips (these are the ones that are usually used as lamps) and I will connect them to the LCD controller board. I would like to know if it went well and if you got one correct light diffusion. Thanks Best regards.
Using the original filters/diffuser I get even brightness. Considering I'm going from CCFL strips to LED strips, makes sense

marosa32

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2024
Using the original filters/diffuser I get even brightness. Considering I'm going from CCFL strips to LED strips, makes sense
Thanks for the reply. What type of LED strips have you used? I have bought 4 pairs of strips like these (attached photo), which they have small "lamps" for diffusion. Do you have any photos of how the interior looked? Any tips to do the process? Thanks

Captura de pantalla 2024-05-29 a las 16.47.38.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.