Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
I used to use a Motorola Surfboard modem with Spectrum, and it ended up causing issues with my Apple Airport. I don't recall the specific details but it would cause the internet to drop. At the time, someone on these forums had a similar issue and recommended moving away form Motorola modems. He had a Zoom modem, so I tried the same one (Zoom Model 5341 - 343 Mbps DOCSIS 3.0 Cable modem) & it worked great. I've not had any issues with it over the last 5+ years (and I still use the Airports)

Spectrum has just upgraded us to 300 Mbps internet (no charge for the speed increase), but I'm only getting 250 Mbps max. In looking at their online support docs, the Zoom Modem is not listed as compatible with the 300 Mbps service (no Zoom Modems are).

Can anyone on here recommend any specific modems for use with Spectrum and an Airport Router. I'd prefer one that is easy to setup and does not include an integrated router. IIRC, Arris bought Motorola's modem business, so I'd probably stay away form those, unless someone here has the same setup and hasn't seen any issues.

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
Maybe you should upgrade with Wi-Fi 6 lans maybe come into 2022 with the newer Synology RT6600ax it has a 2.5 WAN port for the best speed!
Thanks. I've thought about upgrading the Routers before, but the Airport system is just so simple & trouble free, that I'd prefer to stick with it as long as possible.

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Thanks. I've thought about upgrading the Routers before, but the Airport system is just so simple & trouble free, that I'd prefer to stick with it as long as possible.
I have Spectrum, I just use the modem they provide. Spectrum no longer charges a fee for the modem, so you'd only pay if you leased a router through them. They also no longer give combo units, so, what you would get is just a DocSIS 3.1 modem. I have Spectrum Gigabit, before that I have the 400 Mbps package. They gave me a new modem after I upgraded because the Gigabit package is over provisioned I think, and they use a modem with a 2.5G port for that package, other wise, you'd get a DcSIS 3.1 modem with a standard 1G port.

With this said, I have an Airport Extreme 6th Gen that still works, but as my main Router have gone with an Asus RT-AX86U. Overall has been a great experience. I've had to fine tune some settings on the router, but that's due to specific smart Bulbs I use and setting the right settings so they are stable. This doesn't apply to everyone, unless you're in a similar setup.

Reactions: mk313

mk313

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
I have Spectrum, I just use the modem they provide. Spectrum no longer charges a fee for the modem, so you'd only pay if you leased a router through them. They also no longer give combo units, so, what you would get is just a DocSIS 3.1 modem. I have Spectrum Gigabit, before that I have the 400 Mbps package. They gave me a new modem after I upgraded because the Gigabit package is over provisioned I think, and they use a modem with a 2.5G port for that package, other wise, you'd get a DcSIS 3.1 modem with a standard 1G port.

With this said, I have an Airport Extreme 6th Gen that still works, but as my main Router have gone with an Asus RT-AX86U. Overall has been a great experience. I've had to fine tune some settings on the router, but that's due to specific smart Bulbs I use and setting the right settings so they are stable. This doesn't apply to everyone, unless you're in a similar setup.
Thank you. I didn't realize they gave out units for free & they were modem only. I just contacted them & they are sending me one out. You just saved me a decent chunk of $. Thanks for the help

MacinMan

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2011
Denham Springs, LA
Thank you. I didn't realize they gave out units for free & they were modem only. I just contacted them & they are sending me one out. You just saved me a decent chunk of $. Thanks for the help
You're welcome, the modems they give also have phone line jacks (RJ-11) as well as the RJ45 so if you want to also get phone service through Spectrum, I'm assuming the phone would also plug into the modem's RJ11 ports.

Reactions: mk313
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.