Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Look, FreeBSD still builds VLC 3.0.18 for ppc (32-bit!): https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd-ports/blob/main/multimedia/vlc/Makefile
That may be untested, however it looks like that all claims re VLC dropping support for ppc and/or 32-bit are false. What may indeed be broken (and very likely is) is Obj C code in MacOS-specific modules. But those can be turned off.

I will see if 2.2.8 builds; if it does and appears functional, I will try with 3.x.

P. S. It looks like 3.x uses Qt5 for something, which is a problem on PowerPC. That might be fixable, or turned off, or otherwise we will need to use the last version to support Qt4.

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Thanks for investigating this and the possibilities. :)

It takes quite a while since I need to rebuild multiple times, but so far it seems that errors are rather trivial and partly caused by wrong patches and/or settings (who could have thought). Unless something turns out to be horribly broken in a later part of the build, I may complete the thing today itself.
No idea what I get in result though :p
I disabled quartz and qtkit, but enabled x11 and qt4. (This may not work with existing destroot setup; so once the build, hopefully, completes, portfile may need more work to fix destroot stage.)

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
Okay, I got it built and running.
GUI is functional with minor glitches.
Audio works perfectly.
Video – I cannot check native OpenGL right now, since my ATI card has no hardware acceleration in 10.6, but x11 is weird: it plays, but gets everything wrong as if under drugs LOL

UPD. Does anyone know how specifically the video output is handled via different interfaces? We need to do some debugging, it seems.

Last edited:
Okay, I got it built and running.
GUI is functional with minor glitches.
Audio works perfectly.
Video – I cannot check native OpenGL right now, since my ATI card has no hardware acceleration in 10.6, but x11 is weird: it plays, but gets everything wrong as if under drugs LOL

Nice work!

I’d love to test a binary once you’ve got all the quirks ironed out. :)

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
To illustrate what I mean re X11, this is supposed to be a normal music video:
vlc__x11.png

barracuda156

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 3, 2021
There are some chances that what is broken is the new Mesa and/or x11. Then rebuilding against the old ones may help. I will try it.

Reactions: TheShortTimer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.