Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnyxhuynh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
Houston, TX, USA
I've got an iBook G4 (12") that I'd like to add some RAM to. Maybe even more hard disk space. Does anyone know where I should look? Is this something I can do by myself at home? I've only had this iBook for a few months now. I'm pretty much a newbie with Mac in general. Thanks for any help!

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
I recommend you don't get a new HD.. but you can get an external one. As for RAM, you can get it at many places... such as crucial.com. Make sure you get the correct one (crucial.com has a guide to tell you the correct one) and then there are manuals online or in the iBook manual to help you install RAM.

johnnyxhuynh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
Houston, TX, USA
rye9 said:
As for RAM, you can get it at many places... such as crucial.com.

They have a 1GB memory upgrade going for US $159.07. Do you know if this is reasonable?

[Edit:]
Maybe so. The Apple Store has it listed for $300.00!

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
Ntalect said:
They have a 1GB memory upgrade going for US $159.07. Do you know if this is reasonable?

[Edit:]
Maybe so. The Apple Store has it listed for $300.00!

I don't know what would be reasonable as for prices but if it's about half Apple's price, I guess it's reasonable enough.

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
you should try to find a 1GB stick for around $120. that is probably the most reasonable price you'll find. comparing to apple is not helpful, since they overcharge on RAM (which is evident by their $300 price tag). i got a 1GB stick for a different laptop from Newegg for around $120.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
Just replaced the HDD and the cd/dvd.

Got the Hitachi 100GB 7200rpm HDD and a Panasonic DualLayer DVD-burner.
Replacing them took about 3 hours,taking my time and having a cup of coffee.Just get the guides from iFixit or tuaw.com and print them.
And use two sided tape for the srews on the layout that you draw when you take your computer apart so you dont loose them...

If you are tecnically inclined at all,it is a no-brainer to do it.

The performance is up and the book is a blast to use now.I noticed a tad higher temperatures but nothing concerning.Battery life doesnt seem to be affected at all,as it shouldnt.Apparently the Hitachi boys have done a good job ,as few other posts have noticed.

The only gripes that i the HDD apparently is left spinning (idle?) when put to sleep.It emptied a 50% full battery when on sleep during the night (shell open position).But, when in shell closed position and in sleep mode the battery apparently lasts longer...
But all this is isnt verified at all, i have to run some tests here.It is just a hunch.

In short : If you need to keep the computer for whatever reason,like I did, then it is ok to change the guts.
Otherwise sell it and get a MB or MBP, since the HDDs,drives and memory aint free.
Or unless you are a bored mofo like me who likes to poke and tinker with things.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Macinposh said:
Just replaced the HDD and the cd/dvd.

Got the Hitachi 100GB 7200rpm HDD and a Panasonic DualLayer DVD-burner.
Replacing them took about 3 hours,taking my time and having a cup of coffee.Just get the guides from iFixit or tuaw.com and print them.
And use two sided tape for the srews on the layout that you draw when you take your computer apart so you dont loose them...

If you are tecnically inclined at all,it is a no-brainer to do it.

The performance is up and the book is a blast to use now.I noticed a tad higher temperatures but nothing concerning.Battery life doesnt seem to be affected at all,as it shouldnt.Apparently the Hitachi boys have done a good job ,as few other posts have noticed.

The only gripes that i the HDD apparently is left spinning (idle?) when put to sleep.It emptied a 50% full battery when on sleep during the night (shell open position).But, when in shell closed position and in sleep mode the battery apparently lasts longer...
But all this is isnt verified at all, i have to run some tests here.It is just a hunch.

\.

What brand hard drive? I know that I recently bought a Travelstar without realizing it was a blade server drive, had an "E" in front of the numbers. These drives don't spin down and run hotter. Hitachi said not recommended for laptops. What number superdrive did you get, too? Also, if you still need memory, I have a 1gig stick I'll let go very reasonable -- it was new in my iBook for six weeks.

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
California said:
What brand hard drive? I know that I recently bought a Travelstar without realizing it was a blade server drive, had an "E" in front of the numbers. These drives don't spin down and run hotter. Hitachi said not recommended for laptops. What number superdrive did you get, too? Also, if you still need memory, I have a 1gig stick I'll let go very reasonable -- it was new in my iBook for six weeks.

Yo. It is that said Travelstar. I checked when i ordered the HDD that i was supposed to buy was that laptoversion. Now you got me spooked!:eek:
Have to check the package now...i had totally forgotten about it. The recipe reads that it is the 7K100 and the system shows it like this :

Model: HTS721010G9AT00
Revision: MCZOA51A

And the burner is this : Pioneer DVR-K06L. It fit well, only that i had to file down the studs in the computers removable frontpanel so that it fitted better to the drive.No big thingy.20 seconds.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Macinposh said:
Yo. It is that said Travelstar. I checked when i ordered the HDD that i was supposed to buy was that laptoversion. Now you got me spooked!:eek:
Have to check the package now...i had totally forgotten about it. The recipe reads that it is the 7K100 and the system shows it like this :

Model: HTS721010G9AT00
Revision: MCZOA51A

Go on to Hitachi's website -- I think it's just Hitachi.com and look up the drive's number that way. If it's a regular Travelstar (I love Travelstars, btw) then you're fine -- there might be a reed switch issue with the iBook if the drive is not spinning down. Is it sleeping when you close the lid?

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
California said:
Go on to Hitachi's website -- I think it's just Hitachi.com and look up the drive's number that way. If it's a regular Travelstar (I love Travelstars, btw) then you're fine -- there might be a reed switch issue with the iBook if the drive is not spinning down. Is it sleeping when you close the lid?

Nope, doesnt go to sleep at all when i put the lid down.The computer,that is.
Plays iTunes etc.Even the damn screen stays on! Weird.Whats with that,it´s never been like that before.

Have to check out the hitachi website too.

And,oh,California, what do you mean with the "reed switch issue" ?

EDIT: Checked the hitachi website and yes,it was the 100GB PATA disk it was supposed to be.So it is not the blade server E version.Pfffew...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
crucial's RAM is a bit more expensive, but it's well worth it - it has a lifetime warranty, but you won't need it because that's some high quality memory!

Macinposh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2006
Kreplakistan
balamw said:
The reed switch is what tells the iBook to sleep and/or wake up. You probably nicked a wire while doing the upgrades...
B

Aww,bollocks!

But i remember it doing it occasionally before, so i guess i broke it´s back with my tinkering.

What is it´s effects otherwise?
If i put the comp to sleep manually,every thing seems to be okay. Is it so, or is something still "awake" inside?

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Ntalect said:
I found even better prices at NewEgg.com!

I just ordered 1 GB of RAM from Data Memory Systems. I got 1 GB of Samsung OEM RAM shipped via UPS 2nd Day Air for $145, with a lifetime warranty. They've also got non Samsung RAM for about $15 cheaper, with a lifetime warranty. I'd check there before NewEgg, as I don't think NewEgg guarantees compatibility with their RAM.

dmw007

macrumors G4
May 26, 2005
Working for MI-6
T-Stex said:
I just ordered 1 GB of RAM from Data Memory Systems. I got 1 GB of Samsung OEM RAM shipped via UPS 2nd Day Air for $145, with a lifetime warranty. They've also got non Samsung RAM for about $15 cheaper, with a lifetime warranty. I'd check there before NewEgg, as I don't think NewEgg guarantees compatibility with their RAM.

I too would recommend buying more RAM from DMS- I have bought RAM from them on several occasions and I have always been quite pleased with their prices, service, and product(s). :)

johnnyxhuynh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2006
Houston, TX, USA
T-Stex said:

Thanks, I got a 1 GB stick for $113 plus shipping/handling. Lifetime warranty, of course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.