Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Automatic night mode working properly for you on Modular Ultra/Wayfinder?

• Yes

Votes: 9 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
I understand Apple has changed the way we enable night mode on Watch OS10 which I have prepped for. As I understood it now the setting is within the watch face options instead of the roll of the digital crown. I went ahead and setup Modular Ultra as automatic and Wayfinder as automatic yesterday. Even though it was on automatic I noticed the display never entered night mode no matter how dark it got. I tried this out yesterday evening and early this morning and watch face never entered night mode automatically. Is this a known issue or is there something I can do to resolve this other than manually switching settings or duplicating the watch face with permanent night mode?

Thanks.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Too bad they disabled the crown to turn on/off night mode…
I switched to the wayfinder face this morning before 6am and it was in night mode, had to turn that feature off right away, while technically it is still night, it’s morning for me and … anyway

Reactions: WozzaTT

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Too bad they disabled the crown to turn on/off night mode…
I switched to the wayfinder face this morning before 6am and it was in night mode, had to turn that feature off right away, while technically it is still night, it’s morning for me and … anyway
If you have it on auto doesn’t it just change based on the ambient light level?

valenrandy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2009
If you have it on auto doesn’t it just change based on the ambient light level?
That has been my experience so far. From what I saw yesterday Auto is truly independent from your phone's dark mode. If I went to a dark enough room, it would switch red. Walk back into the light and back to daytime mode. Fairly quick really.

Reactions: jz0309

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
I just have yesterday to report on, but it seems to work as advertised. Best I can tell, it’s only active from sunset to sunrise, at which point it’s dependent on ambient light.

I do wish, though, that it had a bit of “smoothing” built into its algorithm. That is, I don’t want it changing based on the instantaneous ambient light, but based on the average ambient light over the past fifteen minutes or so (but with a bit of flexibility). That is, if it’s been bright but somebody turns out the lights, I don’t want to be squinting to read night mode. But, at the same time, if it’s been dark and somebody turns on the lights, I may well have my eyes screwed shut and don’t want the watch to think that it’s now supposed to add to my retinal burn when the lights go out again a moment later.

And, of course, I wish it applied to the entire UI, not just the Wayfinder face. This is especially since the new smart stack widget thing (with the crown rotation) has me quite surprised to be seriously considering moving away from Wayfinder. It was my unexpected go-to from when I got the watch … I had preferred minimalist faces until then, but I got really hooked on Wayfinder. Now, though … the stack seems to be giving me the best of both worlds: a simple, elegant minimalist face (such as Contour) for most of the time, but far more than I could get from complications with a quick turn of the crown.

b&

Reactions: WozzaTT

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
Hey guys,

was a little bit confused with this auto dark mode but now I am getting used too.

One quick question though : it is switching only when you raise and wake the watch right ?
For example if your watch is in « day mode » and the light go dark, my watch face stays in « day mode » until I raise my wrist to activate the watch, at this moment it switches to « night mode » instantly.

Same for you ?

rrgg

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2013
Is there an option to switch back to using the bezel to control this? I don’t think so but have to ask because I hate this OS especially this new feature

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
Is there an option to switch back to using the bezel to control this? I don’t think so but have to ask because I hate this OS especially this new feature

No, but I would prefer they do this.

I heard in 10.2 the night mode is better

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.