Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Howdy Folks, Noob (to the forum) here.
Ever since I got the latest update to Mojave, my mouse pointer goes into Romulan Cloaking mode when I change to another website, or even return to a previous page. I can't see it, but as I move the mouse around different things change color/enlarge/etc, so I can get a general idea where it is. I move to an open area of screen, right-click, and then the black mouse pointer reappears. Gets annoying after awhile.
I joined this site, did a search in the Mojave sub-forum, but couldn't see that anyone else had this issue.

Any ideas? My machine is a: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014) Thanks!

getrealbro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2015
My mouse pointer frequently disappears after clicking on Text Edit in the dock, when the open dialog appears pointed at iCloud Drive. It is very annoying. But I can get the mouse pointer to reappear by clicking on the top menu area.

FWIW the mouse pointer only began disappearing after I turned on iCloud Drive. And remains visible at all other times.

GetRealBro

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
are your pointer prefs the default prefs? (default pointer size...etc ...)
The only block I don't have checked under the Mouse preferences is "Dbl-click to get Mission Control", which I don't use. (I don't even see an option for Pointer Size...)
Sorry I haven't checked in sooner, Xmas is getting in the way. I'll give the other suggestions a try; thanks folks!

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Hmmm.
I went back into Preferences>Monitor, thinking this might be where "Pointer Size" was (this was before @junkw 's post, above). Didn't see anything, but then a "Pallette Debugger" (wish I'd written down the name) came up on its own, and said there may be something wrong with my User Profile (which @Erehy Dobon also mentioned, above). I clicked the Diagnose button, it said everything was okay, but after that I had to re-login to several sites, and it looked like my pointer was now steady.
Then I saw @junkw 's second post, went into "Accessibility" (where I've never poked around) and now my pointer is disappearing again. This is weird!
I'll keep futzing with it tonight, see what else might happen.

BotchQue

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Think I've solved my problem. About the time I last updated to Mojave, I also got a notification from Wacom that my Intuos tablet needed updating. I couldn't find the password at the time so I set it "aside". Today I had some additional time, found the password, logged in, updated, and it mentioned the "Accessibility" menu too (as @junkw mentioned). everything's working now. Since both the tablet and my mouse are physical input devices, I can kinda understand the interference.
Thought I'd post my fix, it might help someone else. Thanks Folks!

Reactions: junkw

MIKX

macrumors 68000
Dec 16, 2004
Japan
Shake your booty . . . mouse.

Shake the mouse.png

blue_Shift

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2016
One thing I notice, after doing most of this stuff that never works, is that if I barely touch the scroll wheel - or move it one click - the pointer comes back. It seems what gets lost is the optical information position (position and state) after a period of a few seconds, as though a listener is timing out.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Just ran into the same issue today and thought I'd update this old thread. I have a 2014 Mini dedicated as an media server, so keeping it on Mojave for iTunes. I also use it to watch iTunes and streaming video when I'm in the room.

Am always reluctant to update system software, but was having problems with the Sling website so I did a full update to the final version of Mojave. Started having the disappeariing mouse pointer problem immediately afterwards (am using a Magic Mouse 2, FWIW).

Then I found a thread about this on Apple's own forums that suggested doing a PRAM reset. That seems to have fixed it (so far). Anyway, this appears to be a known issue so maybe it will help somebody else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.