Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
Good day all, I am new to Mac and have a matchbook pro A1278 ( mid 2012 ) that is heavy upgraded ( still more in works ). I have been considering upgrading to Monterey, have read conflicting options looking for more. I am retired so I just mess and I am totally happy with my current OS, I know if I am happy why upgrade and the answer is that a lot of apps. don't like Mojave, though I have found workarounds for most, I just don't want to get to the point of not being able to use the sites I do need, I am a Diabetic ( among other things ) and run allot of medical software, I already deal with issues on some programs but I have adapted. Can't off the top of my head think of any that I haven't been able to workaround.

Anyway I am Looking for real people for there experience after upgrading from Mojave to Monterey. Thank you for taking the time to read this even if you didn't get this far.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
For some people, there are issues with monterey including USB, memory, etc - Others don't experience it so it depends.

I went from Mojave to Big sur and it's running as stable as Mojave did so that might be good option for you. Monterey changed the way the tracking speed of the mouse cursor and it strains my wrist since I rely heavily on muscle memory to speed up my workflow

In either case, it's not supported upgrade for your machine (it maxes out at 10.15 Catalina which is trash) so you will be messing with things like opencore legacy patcher.

Also, you lose 32 bit app support (no more support for older apps) so you need to check which ones you will be losing. Medical/Science software tend to be slow in adapting new tech.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
Yea thanks I know I will have to use open source to download/install, I am really leaning staying where I am now.
That being said I was reading a tread somewhere dealing with installing unsupported apps, ie numbers, pages and a response said to partition hard drive ( I have a orb ssd with 16 bg ram) and install Monterey in partition and run Monterey from there, etc etc. was thinking of trying that to see if I like. I realize I will not have required patches for full unrestricted operation but Mabey I can find way.
I know crazy but all I have is time and already have cloned hard drive on external to reinstall old is, files etc.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
yeah it might be worth experimenting on an external drive and leaving the internal drive alone until you are ready. That way, if you mess it up, don't like it, the internal is fine. (Although i still recommend backing up the internal just in case)

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
yeah it might be worth experimenting on an external drive and leaving the internal drive alone until you are ready. That way, if you mess it up, don't like it, the internal is fine. (Although i still recommend backing up the internal just in case)
Thanks, I am going to pation it and install in patio that way I don't mess with my clone of my drive. At least hopefully I am, just watched video by Mr. Mackintosh where he partitioned the hard drive to install os so you can play with first, I am going to try the same only on my external HD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.