Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Hey everyone! I’m new to this sub forum I’m usually in the Mac Pro forum, where I’ve already asked the question, does fortnite work on mojave and if so, does it come with issues? I’m worried that if I update, fortnite won’t work on mojave, I’ve seen people on fortnite support forums not being able to play fortnite on their macs because they’re on mojave.

Another thing I’m worried about is if the OpenGL deprecation that is taking place in mojave have any repercussions on performance in OpenGL games like csgo and many others?

Anyone with experience with mojave, info would be greatly appreciated.

My current specs is a Mac Pro 2010 with an RX560 4gb, fortnite runs okay on it, with many hitches that I think are unavoidable on Mac OS.

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
Well Mojave is in early beta and have only had the 2nd developer preview out, so no developer have had the chance to optimise their programs for it yet.
If people on the fortnight forums have problems you should stay away if you do not need it.

If you want stability and compatibility wait for release

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Well Mojave is in early beta and have only had the 2nd developer preview out, so no developer have had the chance to optimise their programs for it yet.
If people on the fortnight forums have problems you should stay away if you do not need it.

If you want stability and compatibility wait for release
Very true, thanks for your points.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I’m sure it does and I’m trying to use Windows as a last resort, I really want to just stay on Mac OS best I can

I'm playing Fortnite on a late 2012 21.5" iMac and have gotten used to having to play everything on lowest settings, lowest 3D resolution, etc, and it can still eke out a playable frame rate. Your RX 560 with its 4GB VRAM, is 8x more texture memory than my GT 650M and its 512MB of VRAM, so, you should be ok. The main impediments to performance in Fortnite (and other Metal games), is optimization for Metal in the game. Epic's Mark Satt participates in many of the threads here in the PC/Mac gaming subform, so you can get a deep dive by reading through his posts on the topic. The TLDR version is this: Epic decided to change over to Metal at the same time Fortnite was being developed, so that growing pains for Fortnite and Metal happened simultaneously. Just as an interesting aside, Mark says that both Vulkan and DX12, do things more like Metal does them than their predecessors OpenGL and DX11, suggesting that similar growing pains are coming once Epic shifts over to Vulkan and DX12.

I hope that helps. But seriously, go read Marksatt's posts. :)

Reactions: MrUNIMOG and t8er8

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
I'm playing Fortnite on a late 2012 21.5" iMac and have gotten used to having to play everything on lowest settings, lowest 3D resolution, etc, and it can still eke out a playable frame rate. Your RX 560 with its 4GB VRAM, is 8x more texture memory than my GT 650M and its 512MB of VRAM, so, you should be ok. The main impediments to performance in Fortnite (and other Metal games), is optimization for Metal in the game. Epic's Mark Satt participates in many of the threads here in the PC/Mac gaming subform, so you can get a deep dive by reading through his posts on the topic. The TLDR version is this: Epic decided to change over to Metal at the same time Fortnite was being developed, so that growing pains for Fortnite and Metal happened simultaneously. Just as an interesting aside, Mark says that both Vulkan and DX12, do things more like Metal does them than their predecessors OpenGL and DX11, suggesting that similar growing pains are coming once Epic shifts over to Vulkan and DX12.

I hope that helps. But seriously, go read Marksatt's posts. :)
Yes! I’m getting a playable frame rate in the game and I’m always on the lowest setting, it’s just the stutters, which from what I’ve read from Marksatt, has to do with game caching and it being incomplete on Mac OS, my question was simply if fortnite is working for people on mojave because I’m worried about updating, but that’s for your response anyway!

marksatt

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Running Fortnite on pre-release OS versions is not a good idea. Apple’s OS Betas are for developers to test and build against and aren’t official, supported releases. As a user you install and run them at your own risk. Official support for running Fortnite on Mojave will occur when Mojave is properly released and not before.

Please do not install Mojave Betas on your primary Mac partition - I always use a spare partition or an external drive that I’m willing to completely erase!

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Running Fortnite on pre-release OS versions is not a good idea. Apple’s OS Betas are for developers to test and build against and aren’t official, supported releases. As a user you install and run them at your own risk. Official support for running Fortnite on Mojave will occur when Mojave is properly released and not before.

Please do not install Mojave Betas on your primary Mac partition - I always use a spare partition or an external drive that I’m willing to completely erase!
Sounds good, I’m sure you’ve answered this question thousands of times before, but does fortnite actually have a dedicated Mac team, and if so, are they aware of the countless issues it has, thanks again.

t8er8

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 4, 2017
Quebec, Canada
Let me answer for him. Yes and yes.
Alright then how about when will these issues be fixed, I’m not even looking for better frames I just want the freezing to stop, this questions directed at the epic games guy but if u can answer it go ahead, thanks again.

marksatt

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
Alright then how about when will these issues be fixed, I’m not even looking for better frames I just want the freezing to stop, this questions directed at the epic games guy but if u can answer it go ahead, thanks again.

I stay away from mentioning dates, it’s not my place. You’ll either have to trust me that improvements are coming or not. I’d also caution that this isn’t a problem I expect to be fully fixed in one go - there are likely to be multiple improvements over time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.