Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
yes it can be done, but not the normal regular way
you have to enter a few commands and mount the drive manually
honestly not worth the hassle
I did it, I already know how
but is really not worth it
is better to wait for official support

RAID0+HFS+ is a piece of cake
but when we change HFS+ to APFS
not only are we changing the FS but also the disk structure changes
yes I do know how to install APFS in RAID0 and boot from the RAID0 Volume
so yes is possible but is not officially support it or it will not allow you to do it normally
unless you run some commands to be able to bypass a few things

the easiest way is to clone a non raid drive with Mojave already install on it
to the RAID+APFS volume
but then you will have to mount the raid volume manually

do not even think about installing Mojave directly to the raid volume
yes I also know how to do that but it will take some more commands
the easier way is by cloning the single drive to the raid0
then you will skip about 80 to 90% of the whole painful process and all you will have to left is just the end of the guide

boot with -v -s
mount the Raid0 Volume manually
/sbin/mount -uw /
hit enter or return
touch /System/Library/Extensions/
now type
exit
hit enter or return
now it will boot

bluehello

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
Can you specifically tell me how to install it on a APFS JBOD with 3 SSDs? I have already formatted the drives and I’m running Mojave on an external drive, any help would be appreciated.

Jay_S_CT

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2016
yes it can be done, but not the normal regular way
you have to enter a few commands and mount the drive manually
honestly not worth the hassle
I did it, I already know how
but is really not worth it
is better to wait for official support

RAID0+HFS+ is a piece of cake
but when we change HFS+ to APFS
not only are we changing the FS but also the disk structure changes
yes I do know how to install APFS in RAID0 and boot from the RAID0 Volume
so yes is possible but is not officially support it or it will not allow you to do it normally
unless you run some commands to be able to bypass a few things

the easiest way is to clone a non raid drive with Mojave already install on it
to the RAID+APFS volume
but then you will have to mount the raid volume manually

do not even think about installing Mojave directly to the raid volume
yes I also know how to do that but it will take some more commands
the easier way is by cloning the single drive to the raid0
then you will skip about 80 to 90% of the whole painful process and all you will have to left is just the end of the guide

boot with -v -s
mount the Raid0 Volume manually
/sbin/mount -uw /
hit enter or return
touch /System/Library/Extensions/
now type
exit
hit enter or return
now it will boot

I'm running Sierra on RAID 0 PCI/E card (Sonnett Tempo Pro). Have not had success on High Sierra with that config as it would not recognize a RAID 0 as bootable. Sounds like with Mojave and HFS+ it works fairly straight forward??

What's the best method (since it's a piece of cake) :) Is it upgrade to a single HFS+ external drive and clone back to the RAID Set? (Guess I have to wait for official version of CCC with Mojave support?)...

Would appreciate any help? On an older Mac Pro but Mojave indicates it's supported. Thanks!!

Jay S.

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
I'm running Sierra on RAID 0 PCI/E card (Sonnett Tempo Pro). Have not had success on High Sierra with that config as it would not recognize a RAID 0 as bootable. Sounds like with Mojave and HFS+ it works fairly straight forward??

What's the best method (since it's a piece of cake) :) Is it upgrade to a single HFS+ external drive and clone back to the RAID Set? (Guess I have to wait for official version of CCC with Mojave support?)...

Would appreciate any help? On an older Mac Pro but Mojave indicates it's supported. Thanks!!

Jay S.
yes the method is exactly how you mentioned
install Mojave on a single drive then create a raid set in HFS+ using DU
now clone the single drive to the raid volume as long as your card is supported it should boot right away
keep in mind that some cards are recognized by the OS but sometimes those card are for storage only
meaning they are not bootable, so as long as your card has booting capabilities then it should be no problem

don't waste your time with APFS+RAID
you can use APFS+RAID without any problem but not for a bootable system
while a bootable APFS+RAID can be done is really not worth it, too much trouble and at this time we still don't know
if the reason why the iMac Pro has a bootable raid volume is because the T2 Chip

you have a few options
install Mojave on APFS on a single drive then create a APFS+RAID volume to do tasks
not to install Mac OS
or simply create a bootable HFS+ RAID volume

a single M.2 drive will give you excellent system performance then you can use a M.2 RAID for extreme performance

the same goes for SATA,yes, they are slower than PCI-E M.2 but better than mechanical drives

best of luck

Last edited:

Jay_S_CT

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2016
yes the method is exactly how you mentioned
install Mojave on a single drive then create a raid set in HFS+ using DU
now clone the single drive to the raid volume as long as your card is supported it should boot right away
keep in mind that some cards are recognized by the OS but sometimes those card are for storage only
meaning they are not bootable, so as long as your card has booting capabilities then it should be no problem

don't waste your time with APFS+RAID
you can use APFS+RAID without any problem but not for a bootable system
while a bootable APFS+RAID can be done is really not worth it, too much trouble and at this time we still don't know
if the reason why the iMac Pro has a bootable raid volume is because the T2 Chip

you have a few options
install Mojave on APFS on a single drive then create a APFS+RAID volume to do tasks
not to install Mac OS
or simply create a bootable HFS+ RAID volume

a single M.2 drive will give you excellent system performance then you can use a M.2 RAID for extreme performance

the same goes for SATA,yes, they are slower than PCI-E M.2 but better than mechanical drives

best of luck

Thanks for the reply. Currently there are two EVO 850s on the Sonnett card and it boots incredibly fast (Sierra) on the Mac Pro. I'm hoping the same will still be the case with Mojave.. Would like to get to the new Pro Video apps which required High Sierra. The system recognizes the drive as bootable under Sierra, and yes, not sure I'm ready to make a jump to APFS.. From other I've spoken with (even at Apple), it is still a "work in process". The process we're talking about did not work with High Sierra..

I guess the first test will be to see if Mojave will let me format it as a RAID 0 Set in DU. Would like to use CCC, but will have to wait for the Mojave version to come out.

Jay S.

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
Thanks for the reply. Currently there are two EVO 850s on the Sonnett card and it boots incredibly fast (Sierra) on the Mac Pro. I'm hoping the same will still be the case with Mojave.. Would like to get to the new Pro Video apps which required High Sierra. The system recognizes the drive as bootable under Sierra, and yes, not sure I'm ready to make a jump to APFS.. From other I've spoken with (even at Apple), it is still a "work in process". The process we're talking about did not work with High Sierra..

I guess the first test will be to see if Mojave will let me format it as a RAID 0 Set in DU. Would like to use CCC, but will have to wait for the Mojave version to come out.

Jay S.
hi the only good news that I heard today in the apple event was the launch date of Mojave, Sep 24, yes is a good idea to stick to HFS+ if you are planning on booting from the Raid Volume, you don't have to wait until the release date, you can test the latest beta, I'm sure your card will still have support for Mojave, I really hope so, but you know how apple love to remove and discontinue support for devices, anyway I hope you will be able to install Mojave and have bootable Raid

last time I tried Mojave, there it was a beta version of CCC that works on Mojave
also there are other clone apps just in case CCC doesn't work for you
I think one is called super duper, well something like that

best of luck to you
the wait should be over in around 13 days
:D

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
I'm running my 2012 Mini with two SSDs in RAID0, still on Sierra. I skipped HS since the support wasn't there, so I decided to wait for Mojave. I want to keep my RAID (~1000MB/s) and I don't kind if I have to stick to HFS+. Can Mojave boot from an HFS+ RAID0?

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I'm running my 2012 Mini with two SSDs in RAID0, still on Sierra. I skipped HS since the support wasn't there, so I decided to wait for Mojave. I want to keep my RAID (~1000MB/s) and I don't kind if I have to stick to HFS+. Can Mojave boot from an HFS+ RAID0?

You will have to install Mojave on a separate drive 1st (APFS). Then clone it to your raid drive. It will boot, but you won’t get any updates as they come out. You can keep the other install you made, boot it once in a while for updates, then clone it over your to raid drive each time. However, at some point, it’s possible this will stop working too.

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
From elsewhere on the web:

CONFIRMATION THAT RAID SUPPORT IS BACK APFS included

what I did to achieve this

• Since my original RAID 0 was formatted in macOS Extended Journaled , I broke the pair up after doing a FULL backup.

• I could have maybe done this step a different way, but I installed macOS High Sierra onto SSD 1

• Restarted Mac

• Installed macOS Mojave onto SSD 1 via App Store

• Restarted Mac

• Held down cmd + R to boot into recovery mode note: attempted disk utility in the OS itself but I don’t believe you can create a RAID with a disk that’s being used currently

• Open up Disk Utility

• File —> RAID Assistant —> RAID 0 (striped)

• And to my surprise, one of the available formats was APFS so I chose that.

• Now have a working RAID 0 formatted in APFS on macOS Mojave (10.14, beta)

Reactions: crjackson2134

RobbieTT

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thinking the same thing before taking the plunge with my i7 Mac mini - it is my only Mac with a pair of SSDs in it so nothing else to experiment on. Everything else just has a single SSD (or a Fusion in the case of my iMac).

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
WTF?

quote from SoftRAID Forum -> https://www.softraid.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=974

With the release of 10.14 Mojave, users can no longer startup from RAID volumes. This includes any SoftRAID volume and Apple RAID volumes.

There is no workaround for this, and we do not expect there to be a solution going forward.

We had several discussions with Apple to see if they would re-enable booting in the future, but the chances are slim to zero.

Prepare to migrate your startup volumes to Apple standard volumes before attempting to install Mojave.

Reactions: crjackson2134

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
WTF?

quote from SoftRAID Forum -> https://www.softraid.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=974

With the release of 10.14 Mojave, users can no longer startup from RAID volumes. This includes any SoftRAID volume and Apple RAID volumes.

There is no workaround for this, and we do not expect there to be a solution going forward.

We had several discussions with Apple to see if they would re-enable booting in the future, but the chances are slim to zero.

Prepare to migrate your startup volumes to Apple standard volumes before attempting to install Mojave.

I read that too... But... Have a loot at this link!

https://www.softraid.com/pages/support/compatibility_notes.html

• SoftRAID 6.0 will be fully compatible with APFS disks and volumes. You'll be able to create and manage APFS volumes and SoftRAID 6.0 will also offer extra functionality to allow you to further manipulate APFS volumes. At the same time you'll still get all SoftRAID's great existing functionality, whether you're working with APFS or HFS formatted disks. If you are interested in finding out more about SoftRAID 6.0 beta please contact support@softraid.com.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikeboss

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
@crjackson2134

yeah ok, APFS. but still, it is not possible to boot from RAID volumes anymore.

I don't know WTH they're doing over there. It's a raid app, so why even update it to support APFS if you're not going to be able to boot it. :confused:

I guess it's becoming an app for data drives only then. That sure takes the wind out of the sails!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.