Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Thanks Charset for pointing this very important issue out. I believe everyone one should know about it because:
1. This is an issue of Apple's credibility. As a good business practice, you don't collect data when the consumer said no to it.
2. It's not just collecting the data, but we have noticed that it slows down the system considerably. Even if you are not running any resource intensive program, that extra apple user, that's collecting data and transmitting it on the go, slows down the system beyond belief.
Apple does not collect data without being opted in to do so. There is absolutely zero evidence that logging "slows down the system beyond belief." You'll need to provide citations on that one.

abidjan

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
Ottawa
Despite selecting the option to not collect data, Apple does collect out data in Mojave. Don't believe? Check user 263 in your system. Check the "aggregates folder." make it accessible and open the files with Hex Fiend editor and it will show you everything you have done, installed... everything - info collected despite you saying "NO" to it.

My question is: Why is user _analyticsd created on your system, despite you not accepting the feature at install? Why?

Try chmod 0 on that path /Library/Logs and try to find out why it is locked? Then try to shut the /private/var/db and tell me why that guy doesn't go away? and why your SIP is disabled? Despite all this do you think something is not weird?

We definitely need experts to look into this and I am sure they will. Consumers and end users won't have a clue about all this.

Bion1nc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Actually chmod 0 will lock the path to /Library/Logs and /Private/var/db/analyticsd/ and will remove the 263 user but you have to do that to every folders and subfolders of each paths and then ad yourself read and write permission and kick the user_analyticsd ( x 2 ) to all the folders it is in control of.

If you need further explanation I can elaborate and show/prove.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thanks Charset for pointing this very important issue out. I believe everyone one should know about it because:
1. This is an issue of Apple's credibility. As a good business practice, you don't collect data when the consumer said no to it.
2. It's not just collecting the data, but we have noticed that it slows down the system considerably. Even if you are not running any resource intensive program, that extra apple user, that's collecting data and transmitting it on the go, slows down the system beyond belief. The question is: Why should the apple serve its end at my cost despite the fact that I pick up "no" in the set up to data collection from the system.

All business are businesses and operate to make profit but if their ratio of making a profit and benefiting the consumers/clients is 50-50%, Apple is not even 10% conscious of the end user needs and concerns. It's 99% focused on self-aggrandisement.

Sooner or later, media will have a hint of this little user that Apple plants in the systems of unaware customers and it would have nothing to say except apologising and come up with lame excuses like in the case of deliberately slowing down iphones.

for a moment there, i thought this was real. my fave part: "we have noticed it slows down the system considerably"...

Reactions: StellarVixen

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Despite selecting the option to not collect data, Apple does collect out data in Mojave. Don't believe? Check user 263 in your system. Check the "aggregates folder." make it accessible and open the files with Hex Fiend editor and it will show you everything you have done, installed... everything - info collected despite you saying "NO" to it.

My question is: Why is user _analyticsd created on your system, despite you not accepting the feature at install? Why?

Try chmod 0 on that path /Library/Logs and try to find out why it is locked? Then try to shut the /private/var/db and tell me why that guy doesn't go away? and why your SIP is disabled? Despite all this do you think something is not weird?

We definitely need experts to look into this and I am sure they will. Consumers and end users won't have a clue about all this.

There is a difference between macOS collecting logs on your computer, and whether those logs are then sent to Apple.

When you say "Apple does collect out data in Mojave," it is Apple's operating system that is collecting the data. That data is being saved to your Mac's hard drive. It is not sent to Apple unless you give permission. There are settings in System Preferences > Privacy that address this. Similarly, after some kinds of app crashes you will get a dialog that asks if you want to send information about the crash to Apple. If you say no, it is not sent. If you call Apple tech support with a challenging problem, you may be asked to send certain logs that reside on your HDD to AppleCare for analysis. None of that is done without your permission.

If you can prove that macOS is actively sending information to Apple, even when you deny permission to send that information, then you have a major scandal. By all means, contact the authorities and post it all over the Internet. However, if the logging information is simply being saved to your local hard disk, it's not a scandal at all.

All sorts of things are saved to your computer's hard disk "by Apple" as part of the operating system's regular functioning. That's part of what every operating system does:

There are configuration files that record your preferences, there are cache files that temporarily store data to speed up functions like web browsing. MacOS is constantly auto-saving so that your system comes back without data loss after a crash. These all happen automatically, and most users are ignorant of this happening. However, are any of these nefarious invasions of your privacy? No. And the system also saves logs that record everything that happens on your computer, which can be used to analyze what went wrong, presuming something went wrong. All of that info stays on your hard disk.

Bion1nc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2014
There is a difference between macOS collecting logs on your computer, and whether those logs are then sent to Apple.

When you say "Apple does collect out data in Mojave," it is Apple's operating system that is collecting the data. That data is being saved to your Mac's hard drive. It is not sent to Apple unless you give permission. There are settings in System Preferences > Privacy that address this. Similarly, after some kinds of app crashes you will get a dialog that asks if you want to send information about the crash to Apple. If you say no, it is not sent. If you call Apple tech support with a challenging problem, you may be asked to send certain logs that reside on your HDD to AppleCare for analysis. None of that is done without your permission.

If you can prove that macOS is actively sending information to Apple, even when you deny permission to send that information, then you have a major scandal. By all means, contact the authorities and post it all over the Internet. However, if the logging information is simply being saved to your local hard disk, it's not a scandal at all.

All sorts of things are saved to your computer's hard disk "by Apple" as part of the operating system's regular functioning. That's part of what every operating system does:

There are configuration files that record your preferences, there are cache files that temporarily store data to speed up functions like web browsing. MacOS is constantly auto-saving so that your system comes back without data loss after a crash. These all happen automatically, and most users are ignorant of this happening. However, are any of these nefarious invasions of your privacy? No. And the system also saves logs that record everything that happens on your computer, which can be used to analyze what went wrong, presuming something went wrong. All of that info stays on your hard disk.

Data are being collected and sent regardless you check or not share Analytics!

Bion1nc

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2014
Clearly you have documentation of this. Let’s see it.

I do yes

I assume you uncheck the analytics right or not it does not matter cause like I said it is being sent.

So now go finder go to folder and take a look at /private/var/db there you will see analyticsd right so do a right click on it get info and down where the lock is you will see 2 users ( analyticsd )

If you open the terminal and type:

ps -ef | grep analyticsd and hit enter the result will be as it follows:

> dscl . -list /Users UniqueID | grep 263_analyticsd 263

Right?

So what do you think that 263 is? Do you think it is just a magical number or a random one?

if you did not or didn't decide to share with apple that user_263 is still there no matter and collect and send regardless the feature is check or not, you follow now?

Hope that helps.
[doublepost=1540336472][/doublepost]I guess that what you guys don't get is that if

So, it looks like on High Sierra or Mojave, analyticsd is running regardless if you permit it or not!

The process is here:

ps -ef | grep analyticsd

263 473 1 0 4:35PM ?? 0:00.04 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreAnalytics.framework/Support/analyticsd

501 42448 33210 0 7:10PM ttys000 0:00.00 grep analyticsd

and it is run by user 263, which is:

> dscl . -list /Users UniqueID | grep 263

_analyticsd 263

So, there is a user _analyticsd created on the system, despite me not accepting the feature at install.

It created a very large number of entries in the logs. Anyone else noticed also a lot of activity from this, despite not enabling/authorizing it?

Last edited:

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I do yes

I assume you uncheck the analytics right or not it does not matter cause like I said it is being sent.

So now go finder go to folder and take a look at /private/var/db there you will see analyticsd right so do a right click on it get info and down where the lock is you will see 2 users ( analyticsd )

Right?

So what do you think that 263 is? Do you think it is just a magical number or a random one?

if you did not or didn't decide to share with apple that user_263 is still there no matter and collect and send regardless the feature is check or not, you follow now?

Hope that helps.
[doublepost=1540336472][/doublepost]I guess that what you guys don't get is that if

So, it looks like on High Sierra or Mojave, analyticsd is running regardless if you permit it or not!

The process is here:

ps -ef | grep analyticsd

263 473 1 0 4:35PM ?? 0:00.04 /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreAnalytics.framework/Support/analyticsd

_analyticsd 263

So, there is a user _analyticsd created on the system, despite me not accepting the feature at install.

It created a very large number of entries in the logs. Anyone else noticed also a lot of activity from this, despite not enabling/authorizing it?
Again, all this proves is that information is being saved internally on the hard drive. To prove it is being transmitted from your to computer to Apple, you need to monitor the output of your computer - WiFi/Ethernet traffic.

Those check boxes determine whether the info is sent to Apple. Read the description. It doesn’t ask “Do you want this information to be collected?” It asks whether you want the information to be sent to Apple.

Apple doesn’t want people to opt out of logging. That could dramatically reduce the number of people capable of contributing to the solution of problems that those people want to have solved. It’s a safe bet that a fair number of the people who opt out would also get upset with Apple if Apple didn’t fix the bug. “If you’re not part of the solution, you’re part of the problem.”

You clearly do not understand what Users like _analyticsd are for, nor how Unix security works. Nothing can be read/written to the system without permission. Permission can be granted to human users (who have login accounts). It also must be granted to automated processes - running apps and OS processes. Those apps/processes are Users, too. The requirement to have permission helps prevent unauthorized apps (malware) from functioning.

Nobody is denying that analytics run, regardless of your Security & Privacy settings. The computer is keeping track of what’s happening and storing it on the hard drive, so that the information is available if/when it is needed in order to analyze software and hardware failures. Again, it is up to you whether those records are then shared with Apple.

If you’d rather not share, then Apple doesn’t get to analyze what went wrong. That’s little different than if you refused to give the police a description of the mugger who attacked you. Without information, the investigation does not move forward. The information remains locked in your brain (or the computer’s hard drive).

The alternative to logging is, “We don’t know why your OS crashed, and we have no way to prevent it if it were to happen again, because we have no record of what happened.” Do you think Marty McFly works for Apple engineering, and he jumps into the Delorean time machine when he needs to investigate a bug?

And as to why analyticsd runs “regardless of whether you permit it?” It’s part of the OS. When you gave permission to the OS to run, you gave that and hundreds of other processes that are part of the OS permission to run.

If logging is so offensive to you, I suggest you find an OS that doesn’t log. I guarantee that any non-logging OS you find will be so small and feature-light that you won’t be able to do the computing tasks you desire, with the ease you desire. The more demands users place on an OS, the greater need the developers have for analytic tools. It’s one of the prices of complexity.

Last edited:

Spazturtle

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2013
I do yes

Right?

Hope that helps.

The process is here:

ps -ef | grep analyticsd

_analyticsd 263

All operating systems create and store logs and have done so for over 30 years now, this is a fundamental requirement for an OS. Open the Console application (in Utilities folder) on any version of macOS and look, logs.

Reactions: martyjmclean
Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Very interestink.

I edit 11 videos today.

Complete 1 excel sheet.

Write some emails.

I go do in Terminal

sudo grep analyticsd personal gripe

Hey presto some number appears. There’s a strange user ID process running and saving logs in that hidden folder.

The folder is locked! The mystery deepens. What is this SIP madnessings?

It must be a violation of my privacy.

I copy the analytics logs to the desktop.

It’s unlocked now. I go in. Very slowly clicking so nobody can hear me. I forgot to enable silent tap.

Inside the folder there is a log of EVERYTHIGA I DOINK!!!!

But I can’t see record of videos I edit today. Or excel sheet I save. Or email I sent. Or even the rubber dolls I saw on the creepto website (I didn’t search for these things it was my brother Bazinga’s computer).

Strange. The Mohave is logging everything but doesn’t give **** about my personal data. Maybe it saves my data somewhere else!

I talk to the Amazong digital assistant ‘Hey Alexa did Apple Mohave save my personal data somewhere and send it in secret to someone?’

On the Echo screen Alexa appears. Fat growling man. Looks like a certain info warrior but wearing the same costume like Dorothy in Wizard of Oz.

‘Dem Apples gone steal your dater and send em down de pipes to the Deep State! Buy my Brain Freeze pills to see what you can do about it. Be real man!!!’

I’m ordering this Brain Freeze now to protect myself from the mental meltdown.

Mohave Truthers Unite!!!!

Riwam

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
Basel, Switzerland
2. It's not just collecting the data, but we have noticed that it slows down the system considerably. Even if you are not running any resource intensive program, that extra apple user, that's collecting data and transmitting it on the go, slows down the system beyond belief. The question is: Why should the apple serve its end at my cost despite the fact that I pick up "no" in the set up to data collection from the system.

All business are businesses and operate to make profit but if their ratio of making a profit and benefiting the consumers/clients is 50-50%, Apple is not even 10% conscious of the end user needs and concerns. It's 99% focused on self-aggrandisement.

Sooner or later, media will have a hint of this little user that Apple plants in the systems of unaware customers and it would have nothing to say except apologising and come up with lame excuses like in the case of deliberately slowing down iphones.
My post is not related to the spying idea in the title of this thread but just to my own experience.
Yesterday a supporter of Apple spent more than an hour of his working time (which certainly was paid by Apple) for a long distance international phone (again paid by Apple, not me) just to help me solve an unsuccessful installation of Windows 10 (yes, a Microsoft product... but Microsoft would not spend a dime to help me if they know my computer is an Apple one).
Maybe the thread starter knows of another big company willing to spend so much money to help a (previous) customer without making any new money on him/her nor on his/her devices.
And do not believe my Mac had still legal warranty or Apple Care. Not at all!. My Apple Care finished (unfortunately) long ago.
So, if I must believe (according to the thread starter and some followers) that Apple is somehow spying me and my computer, I do not see any reason they should do any effort to solve any problem I might have involving foreign software as they did yesterday in my case.
Why should they care if they already have all the data concerning me, my digital life and my computer behaviour by spying methods?
Something does not entirely fit the spying assumption... but maybe I am too stupid to discover and understand it.
Ed

Last edited:

abidjan

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2018
Ottawa
Very interestink.

I edit 11 videos today.

Complete 1 excel sheet.

Write some emails.

I go do in Terminal

sudo grep analyticsd personal gripe

Hey presto some number appears. There’s a strange user ID process running and saving logs in that hidden folder.

The folder is locked! The mystery deepens. What is this SIP madnessings?

It must be a violation of my privacy.

I copy the analytics logs to the desktop.

It’s unlocked now. I go in. Very slowly clicking so nobody can hear me. I forgot to enable silent tap.

Inside the folder there is a log of EVERYTHIGA I DOINK!!!!

But I can’t see record of videos I edit today. Or excel sheet I save. Or email I sent. Or even the rubber dolls I saw on the creepto website (I didn’t search for these things it was my brother Bazinga’s computer).

Strange. The Mohave is logging everything but doesn’t give **** about my personal data. Maybe it saves my data somewhere else!

I talk to the Amazong digital assistant ‘Hey Alexa did Apple Mohave save my personal data somewhere and send it in secret to someone?’

On the Echo screen Alexa appears. Fat growling man. Looks like a certain info warrior but wearing the same costume like Dorothy in Wizard of Oz.

‘Dem Apples gone steal your dater and send em down de pipes to the Deep State! Buy my Brain Freeze pills to see what you can do about it. Be real man!!!’

I’m ordering this Brain Freeze now to protect myself from the mental meltdown.

Mohave Truthers Unite!!!!
[doublepost=1540501697][/doublepost]Is CoreAnalytics present on Mojave and Sierra ... even on previous iterations of macOS? Yes

Is there a similar "thing" on iOS? Yes

Is his presence legal? NO

Why hide it from users? Go figure out.

Why did the firm implement it? Well think about it why!!!!

Could a crooked mind have access to this database? Any authorities will parse this into a digestive format - No?

Did not the company find the ultimate bluff with its T2 chip to do its own, unrestricted or unrestricted, and guarantee its dominance over our data?

The very, very low level implementation of this "hardware" thing (Little Snitch can not filter anything from its communications) is it traceable in clear and easy for the user?

Is a ClassAction conceivable against what could seem to the greatest number as an "aggression", an "intrusion"?

Is there any other CoreAnalytics (from memory, there was another process in El Capitan I think that sent a flood of data and took a lot of laps to the system ...)? no wonder why the system became slower remember the old days with SnowLeopard guys...!!!!!!

Apple offers ... a little! ...

Apple imposes ... more and more! ...

Apple has ... a lot, a lot too! ...

I am very uncomfortable.

Ultimate question: with this CoreAnalytics, will we soon have very bad experience?

Of course, the maintainers have legitimate reasons to want analytic data to help them improve homebrew or iPhone or Apple computer OS. It is just a bit mind-boggling how they went about doing that. I'm inclined to think they just didn't realize how this would be perceived when people will finally realize it it is done in purpose...
macOS versions became free after SnowLeopard no wonder why ????????

They should not be collecting data without informing us and without our consent, even if it is to stay in our own computers.

There is a sickness nowadays of the Analytics stuff all over the place and it keeps the data for a “very long time “, because you can not erase precise data on a modern Flash storage, but only statistically erase the vast majority of data: no guarantee at all. What is happy is, therefore, the disappearance of the plug allowing to communicate directly with the controller to be able to read the contents of the live Flash storage, which limits enormously the risk of going to be bubbled what was put there including what one might think to have erased (even encrypted).

One positive side of Apple is that they are trying to bring a default security that is extremely high!!!!!!! I really do not like the idea that some (too!) Arrogate the right to represent us numerically thinking that these data belong to them and that they can decide to access them and to manipulate them to extract patterns or other, without informing us and without our consent.

With this digital impression (of our uses) by default and non-deactivatable via the Preferences Systems, Apple goes much too far, because a computer must be at our service and not spy for the benefit of others: What we do, who we are, our interactions, all of this is totally ours now thanks to the RGPD (GDPR) and we have the right to collect personal and private data without our explicit and informed agreement, and certainly not without indicating the destination of this collection. So I’m sorry but this more than clear .... DO you still think that they do not collect everything we do????

Even if it is in our computers (and it stays there), collecting without our consent is illegal, and it is Apple who organizes it, not the users.

StralyanPithecus

macrumors 6502
All the Operating Systems, all, store logs and crash files needed by developers and technicians to help find if something runs bad. Linux, Windows, MacOS, Amiga, Epoc, whatever you name, they keep records of you computer, phone, tablet, smart device, TV for diagnosis purposes. If you don't like it, you are welcome to go back to pencils and paper.

Another issue is when your personal info is transmitted outside your device without your consent.

FNH15

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
[doublepost=1540501697][/doublepost]Is CoreAnalytics present on Mojave and Sierra ... even on previous iterations of macOS? Yes

Is there a similar "thing" on iOS? Yes

Is his presence legal? NO

Why hide it from users? Go figure out.

Why did the firm implement it? Well think about it why!!!!

Could a crooked mind have access to this database? Any authorities will parse this into a digestive format - No?

Did not the company find the ultimate bluff with its T2 chip to do its own, unrestricted or unrestricted, and guarantee its dominance over our data?

The very, very low level implementation of this "hardware" thing (Little Snitch can not filter anything from its communications) is it traceable in clear and easy for the user?

Is a ClassAction conceivable against what could seem to the greatest number as an "aggression", an "intrusion"?

Is there any other CoreAnalytics (from memory, there was another process in El Capitan I think that sent a flood of data and took a lot of laps to the system ...)? no wonder why the system became slower remember the old days with SnowLeopard guys...!!!!!!

Apple offers ... a little! ...

Apple imposes ... more and more! ...

Apple has ... a lot, a lot too! ...

I am very uncomfortable.

Ultimate question: with this CoreAnalytics, will we soon have very bad experience?

Of course, the maintainers have legitimate reasons to want analytic data to help them improve homebrew or iPhone or Apple computer OS. It is just a bit mind-boggling how they went about doing that. I'm inclined to think they just didn't realize how this would be perceived when people will finally realize it it is done in purpose...
macOS versions became free after SnowLeopard no wonder why ????????

They should not be collecting data without informing us and without our consent, even if it is to stay in our own computers.

There is a sickness nowadays of the Analytics stuff all over the place and it keeps the data for a “very long time “, because you can not erase precise data on a modern Flash storage, but only statistically erase the vast majority of data: no guarantee at all. What is happy is, therefore, the disappearance of the plug allowing to communicate directly with the controller to be able to read the contents of the live Flash storage, which limits enormously the risk of going to be bubbled what was put there including what one might think to have erased (even encrypted).

One positive side of Apple is that they are trying to bring a default security that is extremely high!!!!!!! I really do not like the idea that some (too!) Arrogate the right to represent us numerically thinking that these data belong to them and that they can decide to access them and to manipulate them to extract patterns or other, without informing us and without our consent.

With this digital impression (of our uses) by default and non-deactivatable via the Preferences Systems, Apple goes much too far, because a computer must be at our service and not spy for the benefit of others: What we do, who we are, our interactions, all of this is totally ours now thanks to the RGPD (GDPR) and we have the right to collect personal and private data without our explicit and informed agreement, and certainly not without indicating the destination of this collection. So I’m sorry but this more than clear .... DO you still think that they do not collect everything we do????

Even if it is in our computers (and it stays there), collecting without our consent is illegal, and it is Apple who organizes it, not the users.

Individuals on this forum have tried to correct your fundamental misunderstandings about how macOS works. If you want to continue to believe in patently untrue facts and misconstrue the data, well, nothing we tell you will help.

Also, macOS became free after Mavericks, not Snow Leopard. I've been using Macs since OS 9, and I can tell you that even then it logged system actions. If you're still willing to listen to reason, perhaps you should use an app like Little Snitch to assuage your fears that certain system logs are being sent to Apple.

Honestly though, your logic makes little sense and honestly sounds a bit manic....

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
Individuals on this forum have tried to correct your fundamental misunderstandings about how macOS works. If you want to continue to believe in patently untrue facts and misconstrue the data, well, nothing we tell you will help.

Also, macOS became free after Mavericks, not Snow Leopard. I've been using Macs since OS 9, and I can tell you that even then it logged system actions. If you're still willing to listen to reason, perhaps you should use an app like Little Snitch to assuage your fears that certain system logs are being sent to Apple.

Honestly though, your logic makes little sense and honestly sounds a bit manic....

He doesn’t understand the difference between system info and personal data.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
Living in Europe, and being fairly concerned-even slightly paranoid-about data (that's one of the reasons to go in the Apple universe in the first place no? )I took advantage of their link under the EU data protection laws, and asked them to provide all the data they keep on me. They did.
It took about three days and they supplied me with about 30 files (I haven't counted).
Most of them concerned things I keep in the cloud like contacts, notes etc.
I'm not really surprised,it being data I have given to them myself. I'm more concerned about how secure it is.
There were activity details for things like Apple music and Browsing history
The apple music ones are interesting in that they don't actually say what tracks you've listened to or when. They have a number than then something like this: (---). It should be square brackets but I don't have the square brackets key. Anyway, you get the picture- there's no useful info there.
And so it goes on. Log of calls using some sort of identifier number and nothing that could be useful to anyone else
Then there's info about things like location, maps. Nothing useful there in fact I think the location data was empty- most of the files are empty.
So we come to 'marketing data'. This is probably the one I was mostly interested in.I'm going to post it here if I can:

So in conclusion: You are using a computer connected the the net. You are giving away data about yourself everywhere you go. I trust nobody in that regard and I am careful but I think Apple are the most up-front company about this going.. They are not a marketing led company they are a hardware company and they make more efforts in security and privacy than anyone else.
I'm happy myself, that whatever you think that file is doing, they aren't secretly collecting loads of data and spying on you.
They don't make their money that way and frankly, they just aren't interested.

Attachments

• market.jpg
    market.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 126
Reactions: Riwam
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.