Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

martinchivers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 19, 2011
Bath, Somerset, UK
I'm running Mojave on my 2012 iMac. I've resisted the later versions as I know some of my software will not be compatible. (photoshop). Maybe a case of, if its not broke...My Mac is telling me I can upgrade to Catalina, now. But is that worthwhile? Don't think Big sur is a good move.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Mojave is the last version that will run 32-bit apps. If you don’t have replacements for yours in mind, you should figure out which ones will become obsolete and line up the new ones or new versions that you’ll need.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
But plan ahead. Eventually your browser will become the #1 problem and you’ll want to upgrade because of performance or security issues.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i just switched back to Mojave from Catalina and love the OSX just 19 minutes ago.
the performance with Mojave is better and there are less  annoyances joining the cloud an dmusic
the security updates could be an issue, but i still feel safe using snow leopard on another MacBook air.

i hoped this helped

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
My 2018 macMini isn't even 3 but I'm still on Mojave because it is rock solid. I am looking to do a CCC bootable SSD backup and try upgrading to Monterey when it gets stable. If it doesn't work well, I'll try to go back to my CCC version (hopefully).

Reactions: MBAir2010

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
My 2018 macMini isn't even 3 but I'm still on Mojave because it is rock solid. I am looking to do a CCC bootable SSD backup and try upgrading to Monterey when it gets stable. If it doesn't work well, I'll try to go back to my CCC version (hopefully).
Or and time machine helped me go back to Mojave from BigSur

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
But plan ahead. Eventually your browser will become the #1 problem and you’ll want to upgrade because of performance or security issues.
Unless you use Chrome, or any other browser than Safari, that doesn't get prematurely obsoleted.

I love Mojave. Use it on all my Macs. No plans to move beyond it at the moment.

Sean.R

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2021
Unless you use Chrome, or any other browser than Safari, that doesn't get prematurely obsoleted.

I love Mojave. Use it on all my Macs. No plans to move beyond it at the moment.
If I use any browser other then Safari on my Mid 2009 Macbook Pro my Macbook will start to overheat. This happened even before I was using Mojave patch.
Does this happen to anyone else?
How long will Safari 14.1.2 still be good to use or what do you mean by prematurely obsoleted? I used to use Safari for years on El Capitan after El Capitan stopped receiving updates but I did start to notice it wasn't working on certain websites after awhile, I had to start using Firefox and Opera and then I noticed whenever I used those other browsers my laptop would start to overheat. Do you think Safari 14.1.2 will be able to last longer in terms of still being able to do stuff online then whatever the latest El Capitan Safari version was? Maybe there were certain reasons why I wasn't able to go to some websites on whatever the latest El Capitan Safari version was but now Safari 14.1.2 is more up to date for being able to get on any website these days for whatever reasons?

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
If I use any browser other then Safari on my Mid 2009 Macbook Pro my Macbook will start to overheat. This happened even before I was using Mojave patch.
How long will Safari 14.1.2 still be good to use or what do you mean by prematurely obsoleted?
safari and others does not heat up my MacBook air 2010 using Mojave,
were the ones you mention heated up in High Sierra.
while heavy use heated up the MBA with Catalina using Safari 15

im hoping that  still supports intel MacBook due to the shortage on M1 this and last year.
but safari 15 won't work on our MacBooks and OSX, but the browser is still functional and secure.

im still using mountain lion an opera and some sites work in safari
opera doe snot support a java script were some books on certain web pages are not visiable.

some users here love BRAVE.

my take is using a laptop with an intel processor is like driving a car.
if one drives reckless, the chances of a wreck is greater

hope this helped!

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
How long will Safari 14.1.2 still be good to use or what do you mean by prematurely obsoleted? I used to use Safari for years on El Capitan after El Capitan stopped receiving updates but I did start to notice it wasn't working on certain websites after awhile, I had to start using Firefox and Opera and then I noticed whenever I used those other browsers my laptop would start to overheat. Do you think Safari 14.1.2 will be able to last longer in terms of still being able to do stuff online then whatever the latest El Capitan Safari version was? Maybe there were certain reasons why I wasn't able to go to some websites on whatever the latest El Capitan Safari version was but now Safari 14.1.2 is more up to date for being able to get on any website these days for whatever reasons?
If your laptop overheats just using a browser theres sonething wrong with it. I have a 2012 mbp, and while not a 2009, it is old, and never has a problem with chrome

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I have a 2012 mbp, and while not a 2009, it is old, and never has a problem with chrome
Your MacBook is not old, and can perform as well as the others intel chips one today!
and you can add RAM and a ssd drive and if needed Monterery.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The best way to experiment with a new version of the OS is to get a 2.5" SATA SSD (it can be small and cheap, say 128gb for only about $20-25), put it into a USB3 enclosure, and create "an alternate boot drive" for the new OS.

Now you can install apps, play around with it, etc.
WITHOUT TOUCHING your existing OS setup.

I've been doing this for years.
This way, I can be sure that the new OS will actually work with the stuff I have BEFORE I install it.

I'm usually in no hurry to jump to a new OS, anyway.
Typing this on my 2018 Mac mini, which still has the original 10.14 Mojave running on, specifically so I can continue to run 32-bit software on one of the last Mac platforms capable of handling it.

In fact, as I type this up, I'm booted and running from my experimental SSD, running Monterey.
But in a few minutes, I'll just "boot backwards" into my trusty Mojave setup...

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
In fact, as I type this up, I'm booted and running from my experimental SSD, running Monterey.
But in a few minutes, I'll just "boot backwards" into my trusty Mojave setup...
How is Monterrey?
anything we really need?

again, great advice!

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
Your MacBook is not old, and can perform as well as the others intel chips one today!
and you can add RAM and a ssd drive and if needed Monterery.
Have it at 16gb ram and already have two 1tb sata SSD's in there, plus it has the dedicated gt650m graphics. It's old, but yea, it works quite well.

That said, my main laptop is my 2015 MacBook Pro. 2tb blade ssd, 16gb ram, and the M370x dedicated video.

quadra605

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
Los Angeles
Have it at 16gb ram and already have two 1tb sata SSD's in there, plus it has the dedicated gt650m graphics. It's old, but yea, it works quite well.

That said, my main laptop is my 2015 MacBook Pro. 2tb blade ssd, 16gb ram, and the M370x dedicated video.
Wait--you have TWO SSD's in your MBP? It there a tutorial on how you do that? I've got a 2010 MBP, with one SSD(and no blades, heck I don't even know how you would do that!) :)

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Wait--you have TWO SSD's in your MBP? It there a tutorial on how you do that? I've got a 2010 MBP, with one SSD(and no blades, heck I don't even know how you would do that!) :)
Your 2010 MBPro has two internal drives. Replace the internal hard drive with an SSD (which you apparently have already done), then replace the optical drive with an adapter such as this, where you can then install the second SSD. Not sure if it is worth doing that kind of upgrade on a 2010 MBPro, but you can do it.

Last edited:

quadra605

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2019
Los Angeles
Your 2010 MBPro has two internal drives. Replace the internal hard drive with an SSD (which you apparently have already done), then replace the optical drive with an adapter such as this, where you can then install the second SSD. Not sure if it is worth doing that kind of upgrade on a 2010 MBPro, but you can do it.
Wow--had no idea you do that --thanks!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
optical drives are useless i found out just now
i was going to install CS4 on a macmini, and just time machined that instead.
 knew they could be swapped when designing this, too bad i forgot the source.

but flowers that are "on" will never be useless!

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there

your MacBook pro will never be the olds.
are we running 2 OSxS?
or can you boot Mojave on one drive, then say Mountain lion on the other?
my new acquired -2012 mini can host 2 drives and i might run 2 os' if i could, but that needs a fan first!
what fun this is!

Nicole1980

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2010
your MacBook pro will never be the olds.
are we running 2 OSxS?
or can you boot Mojave on one drive, then say Mountain lion on the other?
my new acquired -2012 mini can host 2 drives and i might run 2 os' if i could, but that needs a fan first!
what fun this is!
Can run any OS from 10.10 Yosemite through Catalina. Assuming I made enough partitions I could run them all through the same machine.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Can run any OS from 10.10 Yosemite through Catalina. Assuming I made enough partitions I could run them all through the same machine.
I have a minor correction to that... The 2012 mini (I have two of them) can boot from 10.8 (.2) Mountain Lion, to 10.15.7 Catalina. I hve a drive that I use for a variety of troubleshooting on Macs. It has full installs for each version from Leopard to Monterey, which allows me to test booting from the full range of systems on most any recent (and not so recent) Mac.

mhdena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
I have a 2012 Mac (21.5-inch, Late 2012) on Majave 10.14.6,

2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8gb ram

I've been using Turbo Tax CDs for years and was notified last year that 2020 was the last year for Majave CD unless I wanted to use Turbo Tax online I had to upgrade to 2021: macOS Catalina 10.15 or later

I've been looking at an M1 24" iMac and reading this thread I'm thinking to leave this machine as is on Majave and get the M1 iMac and go from there.

And I have a 1TB Fusion drive with 504gb available of 1.12 TB, I'm thinking a 1TB will be enough but 2TB would future proof it or be overkill.
I'm going

Apple M1 Chip with 8‑Core CPU and 8‑Core GPU, Gigabit with 16gb ram with 1TB or 2Tb​

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.