Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ales876

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
Hi,

I wanted to make a clean install on my machine and I followed the tutorials on the web, I was familiar with the process so I did it as usual.

All went well, I got the bootable USB with Mojave on it.

But when I wiped my drive and make a restart, I go and press OPTION+R

I cann see either Macintosh HD AND the USB Drive Saying Mojave Installer

But when I pick the Installer, nothing happens, he wants to connect to wifi.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 266
Last edited:

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I got nothing. When you click on your HDD what happens? Can you post screenshots.

ales876

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
I got nothing. When you click on your HDD what happens? Can you post screenshots.

Either way, he wants to connect to wifi, if I click on the installer he prompts me wifi instead of saying hello and install stuff.

When I click on HDD he wants the Wifi and then starts his usual boot stuff.

Click on the installer and then sign into your Wifi. That should start the install process.

No it doesnt, he does his 3 min dowonload thing and then I'm back in the normal option mode

Just did this. Wiped drive, selected Option-CMD-R and did a clean install View attachment 790265

Tried this yesterday 3 times, didnt work.

I got my working laptop here right now and will clean install it as well, let's see if it works as expected.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Either way, he wants to connect to wifi, if I click on the installer he prompts me wifi instead of saying hello and install stuff.

When I click on HDD he wants the Wifi and then starts his usual boot stuff.

No it doesnt, he does his 3 min dowonload thing and then I'm back in the normal option mode

Tried this yesterday 3 times, didnt work.

I got my working laptop here right now and will clean install it as well, let's see if it works as expected.

Install the OS version that came with your MacBook Pro by using the internet install [shift - option - command -r], this will fix you internal drive and it will take care of the partitions, once you have installed the OS that came with you MacBook Pro you have 3 options:

1 Upgrade to Mohave by the Mac Apple store.
2 Do an internet install by pressing [option - command - r] it will install the latest OS that you MacBook can run.
3 make a usb installer.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: ales876

ales876

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
Install the OS version that came with your MacBook Pro by using the internet install [shift - option - command -r], this will fix you internal drive and it will take care of the partitions, once you have installed the OS that came with you MacBook Pro you have 3 options:

1 Upgrade to Mohave by the Mac Apple store.
2 Do an internet install by pressing [option - command - r] it will install the latest OS that you MacBook can run.
3 make a usb installer.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,

I tried the last two options, none of them worked. I saw on the apple disucssion that there is a problem with the t2, so yeah.... i will check what i can do.

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
Thanks,

I tried the last two options, none of them worked. I saw on the apple disucssion that there is a problem with the t2, so yeah.... i will check what i can do.

Good luck with that!
[doublepost=1538210810][/doublepost]
Thanks,

At the end, you will learn a lot.

DeadeyeM

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Hi,

I wanted to make a clean install on my machine and I followed the tutorials on the web, I was familiar with the process so I did it as usual.

All went well, I got the bootable USB with Mojave on it.

But when I wiped my drive and make a restart, I go and press OPTION+R

I cann see either Macintosh HD AND the USB Drive Saying Mojave Installer

But when I pick the Installer, nothing happens, he wants to connect to wifi.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Why did you make USB???? you should have upgraded to Mojave and then go in with CMD + R to wipe the drive and reinstall

Reactions: HenryDJP

ales876

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2016
Germany
Why did you make USB???? you should have upgraded to Mojave and then go in with CMD + R to wipe the drive and reinstall

Because if worked totally fine the last few years.

I don't know why and how but it worked for me, to go to recovery mode, wipe the ssd and then install it. took about an hour, but went all. for now I'm missing nothing.

thanks anyways guys!

TokMok3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2015
I'm generally thinking why create a USB, when Mac already will have a partition with OS Instal

When there's no high speed internet connection and the sdd drive needs to be formatted or upgrading the ssd drive to name a few situations.

tmcnulty1381

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2010
Eastern Massachusetts
In my journey from upgrading from HS to Mohave, the cmdR did not work at home or at the
Apple store. My only solution was back to HS letting Apple Store do it overnight.
Once I did the initial Mohave DL and upgrade my two month old iMac 27 was a no network
Device (WiFi or Enet). At the Apple store the os seemed to load but choked on the TM restore.
The TM restore loaded onto the HS reload fine overnight at the Apple Store. Apple could not
Find any problem with the TM backup. Maybe by the third MH release will try a clean install.
Clean install was the second upgrade try which failed too......First time an Apple new OS
Failed since Apple][ days. Win some loose some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.