Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpmarshalljr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Somehow I upgraded HS to Mojave but am stuck at 10.14.1 and can't update to 10.14.4. Since this is going to be the Apple standard does anyone know how to convert a SSD to APFS?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Somehow I upgraded HS to Mojave but am stuck at 10.14.1 and can't update to 10.14.4. Since this is going to be the Apple standard does anyone know how to convert a SSD to APFS?
You can convert to APFS in Disk Utility. Just right click on the name of your disk, and it'll do the conversion. I do strongly recommend you make sure you have good backups when you do this, although this is supposed to be a non-destructive operation.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Agreed with chrfr about making a backup before you try this conversion.

The BEST kind of backup would be a bootable clone created with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

That way, if anything ever went wrong, you could just do this:
1. Boot from the cloned backup
2. ERASE the internal drive
3. RE-CLONE the cloned backup BACK TO the original drive.
4. Voila! Right back "where you started from..."

Reactions: BigBoy2018

cpmarshalljr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2019
Agreed with chrfr about making a backup before you try this conversion.

The BEST kind of backup would be a bootable clone created with either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper.

That way, if anything ever went wrong, you could just do this:
1. Boot from the cloned backup
2. ERASE the internal drive
3. RE-CLONE the cloned backup BACK TO the original drive.
4. Voila! Right back "where you started from..."
[doublepost=1553788869][/doublepost]I should have included more information. When I double click on the SSD that contains Mojave, the [convert to APFS] is greyed out and the error says I can do this only in installer. I believe that Apple is sticking with APFS and if I don't convert now I will have the same problem in the future. Is there an easy way to convert or must I do a clean install of Mojave on a APFS drive?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.