Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

infiniteroad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
I just updated to Mojave and my entire photo album is now empty!! Is this supposed to be the case? What happened? The photos are all in iCloud so I hopefully have not lost anything but I would like to understand what is going on before downloading them all again. Thank to anyone who can help.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
is there a Photos Library in Home>Pictures? how big is it? try opening Photos holding the option key, and point it to that Library file (IF it's there, and a large file)....

Reactions: aaronraimist

infiniteroad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
is there a Photos Library in Home>Pictures? how big is it? try opening Photos holding the option key, and point it to that Library file (IF it's there, and a large file)....

Thank you so much, fisherking, for your prompt reply. I have now discovered the problem. My hard drive has two partitions: one with the system files and the other with the user accounts. When I upgraded I seem to have lost access to the one with the user accounts (and the photos) and a new user account was created in the system file partition with no photos in it. So now I just have to recover access to the other partition!

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
Thank you so much, fisherking, for your prompt reply. I have now discovered the problem. My hard drive has two partitions: one with the system files and the other with the user accounts. When I upgraded I seem to have lost access to the one with the user accounts (and the photos) and a new user account was created in the system file partition with no photos in it. So now I just have to recover access to the other partition!

ah, good you figured it out (and good luck sorting it out). btw, why is your drive partitioned? seems unnecessary on a modern system; anyway, just curious...

infiniteroad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
ah, good you figured it out (and good luck sorting it out). btw, why is your drive partitioned? seems unnecessary on a modern system; anyway, just curious...

I don't know. this is how my system manager at work sets it up, but it seems it might change now that this problem arose. The inks again for your prompt replies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.