Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

which is faster?

• Mojave

Votes: 7 87.5%
  • high Sierra

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters

CamilKanaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
Hello guys! Im running high Sierra on my MacBook Pro 2018 15 inch with touch bar and its really good but im scared to install the Mojave update for it not to make my laptop slower. did anyone update a 2018 laptop to Mojave? If yes how is it working is it worse or better?

revmacian

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2018
USA
Hello guys! Im running high Sierra on my MacBook Pro 2018 15 inch with touch bar and its really good but im scared to install the Mojave update for it not to make my laptop slower. did anyone update a 2018 laptop to Mojave? If yes how is it working is it worse or better?
I don't have a laptop. But, I updated my 2014 Mac mini from High Sierra to Mojave this morning and I haven't seen much of a difference. As far as hardware goes, a 2018 Apple laptop is far superior to a 2014 Mac mini, no? Shouldn't your machine handle Mojave better than mine?

Reactions: CamilKanaan

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I don't have a 2018 15" MacBook Pro, however, I find Mojave to be faster on my 2017 27" 5K iMac. If you have fears of upgrading, why not make a clone of your current High Sierra, then install Mojave and test it for awhile. If you feel it's not faster or as fast, wipe out Mojave and install High Sierra with your clone. Cloning software = Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.

CamilKanaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
I don't have a laptop. But, I updated my 2014 Mac mini from High Sierra to Mojave this morning and I haven't seen much of a difference. As far as hardware goes, a 2018 Apple laptop is far superior to a 2014 Mac mini, no? Shouldn't your machine handle Mojave better than mine?
I guess yeah. but still I've been reading allot of people saying that they felt it was slower, anyways thank you for your reply and sharing your experience.

Reactions: revmacian

CamilKanaan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2018
I don't have a 2018 15" MacBook Pro, however, I find Mojave to be faster on my 2017 27" 5K iMac. If you have fears of upgrading, why not make a clone of your current High Sierra, then install Mojave and test it for awhile. If you feel it's not faster or as fast, wipe out Mojave and install High Sierra with your clone. Cloning software = Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper.
The thing is Im new to Mac and I don't know how to do that but if I can learn from the internet how to do it but still im scared to ruin my MacBook.
[doublepost=1540125201][/doublepost]
You gave a binary option, therefore I cannot cast a vote, because to me the speed is about the same. (MacBook Pro mid 2012).
ow okay cool so you don't feel like its worse in some way.

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
The thing is Im new to Mac and I don't know how to do that but if I can learn from the internet how to do it but still im scared to ruin my MacBook.
[doublepost=1540125201][/doublepost]
ow okay cool so you don't feel like its worse in some way.

Carbon Copy Cloner is pretty simple to use. It should walk you through what you need.

artnoi

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2018
Bangkok
According to this test (High Sierra vs Mojave vs Ubuntu vs Clear Linux on 2017 15 MBP) using Phoronix test suite, performance difference should be very small.

https://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=26905

But what’s interesting is that macOS is behind Linux on the same hardware (note that macOS has more background processes, eg iCloud, and also Linux on 2017 MBP is rather handicapped, ie no wifi and audio)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.