Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCaint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2022
I had to "upgrade" from Mojave to Monterey, and now my Mojave iTunes playlists don't appear in the Monterey Music app. Some tunes appear, but many are "not found", according to the Music app.

I called Apple, but they were useless.

I do have a full back up of my Mojave volume.

Is there any way to fix this?

(My son's iMac also went from Mojave to Monterey, but his old Mojave iTunes playlists do appear in the Music app)
Thanks.
Mac

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
Go back to Mojave using an external drive and make sure you consolidate files while also checking the option to that “organizes” your media by artist / album.

i reckon your music is scattered in different folders and montelame is too stupid to deal with it

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asked:
"Is there any way to fix this?"

Well, you could "go back" to using iTunes. It CAN be done, easily.

You need a free app called "Retroactive":
(scroll down a little and click on the download button)

Once you launch Retroactive (right click on the icon to launch it), you can install a copy of iTunes (it gives you several choices, I'm going to guess that you want the one that emphasizes "playlists").

I suggest that you give this a try.
I confidently predict that you'll be pleased with the results.

Reactions: MBAir2010

MacCaint

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2022
Thanks.
I already tried this.
The version of iTunes that is used also does not "see" my old playlists.

WLE Inc

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2022
I do a lot of Homesharing, I upgraded from Mojave to Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey. But after a ton of issues organizing my media with the new Music and TV Apps, I went back to Mojave on two machines. The Monterey OS Seems to work great, but the TV App in Mac OS is the worst thing I have ever seen apple release! I do like Monterey and the M1 with Final Cut and Other programs. I have two intel Macs that will stay on Mojave. Even Windows with iTunes works better than the TV APP (I know it hurts to say)!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If nothing else works, perhaps the only alternative is to "rebuild" those lost playlists "by hand".
One does what one has to do...

albabe

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2013
I had to "upgrade" from Mojave to Monterey, and now my Mojave iTunes playlists don't appear in the Monterey Music app. Some tunes appear, but many are "not found", according to the Music app.

I called Apple, but they were useless.

I do have a full back up of my Mojave volume.

Is there any way to fix this?

(My son's iMac also went from Mojave to Monterey, but his old Mojave iTunes playlists do appear in the Music app)
Thanks.
Mac

I bought a Mac Studio, Base Model w/ 1 TB SSD and I'm about to set it up during the next few days. I was "urged" by my Wife's Bud, who is a wig at Apple, NOT to Migrate from Mojave when installing, so I guess I'll soon see how this all works-out.

I'm curious about iTunes too. There's so much contradictory stuff on the Intertubes. Did anyone here figure out how to set-up "Music" with the Library .xlm file from the old Computer?

And... Can I migrate individual Apps from my App Folder on my other Drive, After I set-up Monterey? I've never done that. I've always done a Full Migration when Installing a New OS. Migrating Mail would be nice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.