Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Hi all,

I keep an iMac on all the time (display off), though I usually let it sleep when I think it will long periods of time before the next use. It serves as a media and file server, but starting in I want to say 10.14.4, when I wake the computer from sleep (not just display lock), I get a notice that my disk wasn't ejected properly.

I keep a 2TB SSD attached via USB-C port (2017 iMac) all the time for extended storage. It never ejected itself before. The option "put hard disks to sleep" is unchecked.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Not sure its related, but defniatly not isolated to 10.4.4, but I had the same problem.. I was transferring large files to/from my NAS, same "disk not ejected" when Mac i came back up...

First, since i knew when hard drive spun down and no power...

Then i released, Apple switches the USB ports off as well.. as do Network connection, even if it's currently active transfers..

Apple told me the only way to prevent that is never lett computer sleep at all.

Which kind of subvert the need for "put hard drive to sleep when possible" ... But that only works internal SSD, not USB drives or attached.

I don't think Apple won't mention it in knowledge base, but they will tell you if you specially mention it to them on phone.

Its the only way i found confirmed this..

Since then, any large files i transfer from SSD to external drives, i disable all energy saver settings, even on battery.

It may not be ' what Apple wants" as its counter-inutive, but what else can you do if the option is limited by design.

Reactions: Traverse
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.