Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loryball

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2018
I want to share with you how I solved a huge problem with my Macbook pro retina mid 2014 after the Mojave update. It worked smoothly before, after the update it started to become extremely slow in opening any non-Apple application (the worst ones were Parallels and Microsoft Office, the latter requiring 1-2 minutes to open). I have read elsewhere that it is a rather common issue that some user could not solve so far.
I restored the OS from scratch, and the problem appeared again as soon as I synchronized my Dropbox account. I started thinking that this might be a filesystem problem, due to the huge amount of data I have on Dropbox (190 Gb). I tried first removing the biggest files, with no results. I solved the issue removing two folders containing several small files (around 40 Gb split in 20,000+ files, as I work with computed tomography scans, composed by hundreds of small files 100-500 kb each).
Removing those files completely solved the issue, and now Mojave runs even faster than before the update.

Hope this helps someone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.