Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
Tried to upgrade my wife’s mid-2012 13” MBP from Mojave to Catalina in order to step it up to the most recent version of macOS which supports that hardware. Big mistake with apps changing and such (wife was not happy). So, I booted into the CCC-build external backup I made prior to the upgrade and used CCC to reinstall the Mojave image on the MBP’s internal drive. When I then rebooted onto the internal drive, now with the old Mojave image, I stared at a white screen for a long time and was about to power-down and go into recovery steps when the Apple image appeared and the normal boot process started. Everything was fine after the reboot, except that on every reboot now there’s a several minute pause with the white screen before the boot process starts.

During the upgrade to Catalina I got a feeling that there was perhaps some firmware upgrades going on as well. Might there have been a firmware change or two that is now confusing the Mojave setup during the reboot? Any ideas as to what’s going on?

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
It’s probably looking for Catalina. Go to System Preferences > Startup Disk and select your Mojave internal drive.

Reactions: conmee

Lounge Deluxe

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2009
Amsterdam
Will take a look at that. The MBP is dead right now awaiting a new battery. Not related to the macOS issues.
I bought a new battery replacement for my Mid 2014 MBP through ifixit and this replacement doesn't even come close to the original battery's capacity (max 60-75 minutes battery time on a full charge using just MS Edge). Perhaps try Apple first for a replacement battery, I know now I would gladly pay a little extra for an original replacement battery.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.