Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designerdrew2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Hi community, I have decided to buy Adobe Creative Cloud and I’m running a 2017 iMac 27” pretty much top spec as far as power/memory etc. currently running on Mojave 10.14.6

Adobe CC doesn’t list Mojave as a compatible OS system.

Question is do I bite the bullet and upgrade the OS straight to Ventura, knowing all the hassle that will come with that as far as incompatible programmes and the usual Apple deciding to completely relocate things for no good reason, or can anyone recommend a ‘middle step’ that gets me compatibility with Adobe CC and a level of future proofing that will let me work on ACC for the next couple of years?

Adobe lists Ventura, Monterey and Big Sur as system compatible.

any advice will be gratefully received

Thanks Drew

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Mojave is the last version that will run 32-bit apps. So upgrading at all will mean that you will need to upgrade any such apps to 64-bit versions.

I made the leap from Mojave to Monterey and didn’t experience any other issues. I’m on Ventura now. I don’t see a need to do incremental upgrades.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
First, check for incompatible legacy 32-bit applications you might need.
If you have enough disk space, you could:
  • Use Disk Utility to create an additional volume "Ventura" in the current container for Mojave.
  • Install Ventura into that.
  • Use Migration Assistant to move apps and data.
Note that Mojave "Startup Disk" will not recognize the Ventura boot. You would have to option-boot to switch to that. You will also get a nag dialog in Mojave that a disk is not recognized. It can sagely be ignored.

After you are comfortable with Ventura, you can use Disk Utility to delete the Mojave volume.

Designerdrew2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Hi community, I have decided to buy Adobe Creative Cloud and I’m running a 2017 iMac 27” pretty much top spec as far as power/memory etc. currently running on Mojave 10.14.6

Adobe CC doesn’t list Mojave as a compatible OS system.

Question is do I bite the bullet and upgrade the OS straight to Ventura, knowing all the hassle that will come with that as far as incompatible programmes and the usual Apple deciding to completely relocate things for no good reason, or can anyone recommend a ‘middle step’ that gets me compatibility with Adobe CC and a level of future proofing that will let me work on ACC for the next couple of years?

Adobe lists Ventura, Monterey and Big Sur as system compatible.

any advice will be gratefully received

Thanks Drew
  • Use Disk Utility to create an additional volume "Ventura" in the current container for Mojave.
Note that Mojave "Startup Disk" will not recognize the Ventura boot. You would have to option-boot to switch to that. You will also get a nag dialog in Mojave that a disk is not recognized. It can sagely be ignored.

After you are comfortable with Ventura, you can use Disk Utility to delete the Mojave volume.
Many thanks

Designerdrew2

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Mojave is the last version that will run 32-bit apps. So upgrading at all will mean that you will need to upgrade any such apps to 64-bit versions.

I made the leap from Mojave to Monterey and didn’t experience any other issues. I’m on Ventura now. I don’t see a need to do incremental upgrades.
Many thanks for the info

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010

I have a MBP 2017 running Ventura 13.2.1 but cannot upgrade to 13.5. I don't remember Apple ever stopping compatibility for a new OS other than with whole number major updates. Is this an exception or do I have a problem with my Mac?

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
I have a MBP 2017 running Ventura 13.2.1 but cannot upgrade to 13.5. I don't remember Apple ever stopping compatibility for a new OS other than with whole number major updates. Is this an exception or do I have a problem with my Mac?
Maybe they stopped 13.5 since it has a major bug, now there is a 13.5.1 version.

rodedwards

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
I'm running Big Sur 11.7.9 and it works fine with Photoshop beta 2023 (Ai version).

I think this is oldest OS Apple supports, so OS 13 will give you about two years of
upgrades.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Hi community, I have decided to buy Adobe Creative Cloud and I’m running a 2017 iMac 27” pretty much top spec as far as power/memory etc. currently running on Mojave 10.14.6 Adobe CC doesn’t list Mojave as a compatible OS system.
I keep a unibody MBP running Mojave (plus a maxed out 2019 iMac for power applications) for all the mojave jazz. There were quite a few ugly surprises after we jumped from Mojave to Big Sur. Between our proprietary software, some old zombie software, and all the hardware (digitizer tablets, large format imaging, machining & instron testing) that companies dropped "support" for before either changing their product plans or going out of business those two machines handle everything left hanging on 32 bit. Those machines also have Adobe CC 2021 on them for the imaging stuff. Pretty sure that's got to be a haxnode install though, bc Adobe should have cut us off ages ago. I can't remember the last time I even used adobe anything. Between Affinity & Pixelmator there's always a preferable alternative. Lightroom was the last one I used but even thats been thoroughly spanked by CaptureOne.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.