Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebaierl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2018
Florida
My wife and I both have Mac laptops. Mine is a 2014 MBP 15". Her's is a 13" MBA 2012. Since the Mojave upgrade, things have been weird.

On mine, the trackpad doesn't always click. I mean, I can feel it click, it goes down, but macOS doesn't always register the click. It usually does the second time though. I thought it could be a hardware issue, but it happened immediately after I upgraded.

Then on my wife's MBA, it acts like Tap-to-Click is turned on, even when it's not. This also started happening with the Mojave update. I tested it to be certain, and yeah, its definitely selecting files when I tap without pressing the trackpad down. I turned it on, it still worked. Then I shut if off, and it sometimes happens, but not always.

I've done scans with Malwarebytes and Sophos. Found some stuff and removed them all. Rebooted several times, reset the PRAM, entered Safe Mode to clear the caches, it is still happening.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I'll have a spare hard drive soon, so I'm going to back everything up to that, completely reformat the drive on both laptops, and just start from scratch. There is a chance there is some app that was installed long ago that is doing something in the background to mess things up, but I have no idea what it might be.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
i experienced this briefly, but it's been ok on the last few betas. so, perhaps the upcoming 10.14.1 update will fix it. you might want to, at least, wait for that before you reformat and start over (just a suggestion).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.