Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sznaps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
All these devices worked fine on all the developer betas up until DP4. I have a Creative Sound Works Soundblaster X-FI 5.1 USB and Astro Gaming A50.None of the outputs or inputs work but they appear in the Midi utility and in system preferences.

I've tried SMC and all the other normal measures but no luck. Anyone have any other ideas?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Do those devices have "drivers" associated with them?

If they do, perhaps a "driver update" is required.

One of the hazards of upgrading your OS, is that often 3rd-party hardware manufacturers are "late to the party" with updates. Sometimes, the updates don't arrive at all...

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Yes, this user will need drivers.

As a music guy myself or one with an interest in audio hardware I tested this on an external drive prior to upgrading my primary drive.

For my own gear I verified the Roland VG-99/FC-300, Boss RC-300, Boss GP-10 all work with the High Sierra drivers.

This is actually unheard of, every time we get an OS update I typically need to wait a couple months for the vendors to update drivers for my hardware.

Howard2k

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2016
I have a Behringer UMC404HD which works perfectly under Mojave. I used a Focusrite Scarlett Solo, worked great too.

Neither needed drivers. I did a clean install of Mojave, but both devices were just plug and play, and I just went into the Sound settings and set them as Input and Output.

sznaps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Do those devices have "drivers" associated with them?

If they do, perhaps a "driver update" is required.

One of the hazards of upgrading your OS, is that often 3rd-party hardware manufacturers are "late to the party" with updates. Sometimes, the updates don't arrive at all...

No drivers for each device. They have always worked just plug and play.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
All these devices worked fine on all the developer betas up until DP4. I have a Creative Sound Works Soundblaster X-FI 5.1 USB and Astro Gaming A50.None of the outputs or inputs work but they appear in the Midi utility and in system preferences.

I've tried SMC and all the other normal measures but no luck. Anyone have any other ideas?

The Astro A50 has Mac software download on their website. I don't understand how that was working without drivers before because I doubt MacOS would have any default drivers that supported Dolby 7.1 audio devices. If you are certain it was working before without third party software, maybe it was defaulting to a driver with some sort of basic stereo audio support.

I don't know what's up with the Creative. That model uses a very common Cirrus Logic chipset so I am surprised that Apple would drop that driver from Mojave. I assume you've tried basic troubleshooting (tried different USB ports, direct connection not through USB hub, etc)?

If you have a spare drive with High Sierra or whatever installed, it would be interesting to see if the audio devices start working again if you boot to that drive. That would confirm Mojave compatibility problem instead of a hardware problem occurring coincidentally with the OS installation.

sznaps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
The Astro A50 has Mac software download on their website. I don't understand how that was working without drivers before because I doubt MacOS would have any default drivers that supported Dolby 7.1 audio devices. If you are certain it was working before without third party software, maybe it was defaulting to a driver with some sort of basic stereo audio support.

I don't know what's up with the Creative. That model uses a very common Cirrus Logic chipset so I am surprised that Apple would drop that driver from Mojave. I assume you've tried basic troubleshooting (tried different USB ports, direct connection not through USB hub, etc)?

If you have a spare drive with High Sierra or whatever installed, it would be interesting to see if the audio devices start working again if you boot to that drive. That would confirm Mojave compatibility problem instead of a hardware problem occurring coincidentally with the OS installation.

Connected to my Imac on high sierra, worked fine. The software on astro's website is for a newer version. Just installed newest developer preview and they work again, so problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.