Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Corma77

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2021
I noticed a degradation of graphic performance for certain tasks when going from Mojave to Catalina on my Mac Pro 2013. Specifically Gimp (the free version of Photoshop) becomes unusable in Catalina and windows resizing of certain 3rd party apps is also tremendously slow on Catalina. I installed Mojave and Catalina on the same disk in different partitions (containers). I tried reinstalling Catalina but no difference. The performance degradation seemed to be limited to the tasks mentioned above: other graphic apps worked the same, and CPU and GPU Benchmark scores gave the same results in the two versions of macOS. Did anyone notice the same behavior?

I have an 8 core with 2xD700 and 32 GB

Last edited:

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
Yes, it has been talked about that updating to Catalina from Mojave sometimes causes performance in graphics applications (FCPX) to decrease a little. I think it is an attempt to have Mac Pro 2013 run cooler etc. I noticed Big Sur does a decent job at balancing performance and cooling etc. Note that if you update after Mojave you receive updated firmware, so we aware. I noticed going back to Mojave after does not get the same performance. So, it is up to you, but I personally did not see too much of a difference. Just a few minutes for processing really and is welcomed for a cooler overall and faster experience. I also noticed single-core improvements with my 12-Core.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I think my 2012 5,1 runs catalina a bit better than my 2013 6,1 mac pro. I have a Radeon rx480 in one machine and an nvidia 680gtx in the other 5,1 ..... the 6,1 has the twin 300 cards

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.