Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gwaredd Thomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Wales, UK
Prior to updating to Mojave, I had 167 GB of free space, now I only have 69 GB. This thing is a blinkin' hog; I wish I would have kept Serria. And, I haven't added any new software. This is nuts!:mad:

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Prior to updating to Mojave, I had 167 GB of free space, now I only have 69 GB. This thing is a blinkin' hog; I wish I would have kept Serria. And, I haven't added any new software. This is nuts!:mad:
Are you by any chance using the new APFS, if so maybe do some googling and read up on automatic "Snapshots"

Gwaredd Thomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Wales, UK
Are you by any chance using the new APFS, if so maybe do some googling and read up on automatic "Snapshots"

Yes, I'm using APFS but there's no way to change it back to MAC extended journaled that I know of. I went to disk utilities and there's no option to do that.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Great idea! I have a 2 GB external but what do you mean by HFS+? I'm not familiar with that.
Sorry for not being clearer...
Mac OS Extended or HFS+ is an improved version of Apple's Hierarchical File System from the mid-1980s.
The normal format in most cases today would be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".
If I were doing this these are the steps I would take.
Partition and format my external drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Use CCC to clone my APFS drive to the external, once done make sure the external drive will boot and run.(very important).

Then while running from the external drive, I would partition and format the main drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then clone the external back to the main drive and all should be good.

Good luck,:)

Last edited:

Gwaredd Thomas

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 15, 2016
Wales, UK
Sorry for not being clearer...
Mac OS Extended or HFS+ is an improved version of Apple's Hierarchical File System from the mid-1980s.
The normal format in most cases today would be "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)".

Got it! I downloaded Carbon Copy Cloner so I see how things work out. Thanks much!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.