Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Upto Episode 6, this is good. Happy to see Kurt and Wyatt Russell playing the young old version of the same character. What I’m not sure of is Monarch, the organization that tracks “Titans”, was it there from the start, close to the start, or I’ll assume added just as the basis for an origins story?

IMG_3089.png

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Upto Episode 6, this is good. Happy to see Kurt and Wyatt Russell playing the young old version of the same character. What I’m not sure of is Monarch, the organization that tracks “Titans”, was it there from the start, close to the start, or I’ll assume added just as the basis for an origins story?

I think Monarch was actually first seen in one of the recent Godzilla movies.

In fact, to the internet:

Monarch (モナーク Monāku) is a scientific organization that first appeared in the 2014 Legendary Pictures Godzilla film Godzilla.

Reactions: Huntn

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho

Monarch is the equivalent to MIB. Secret government agency that has known about these monsters since the late 40's/early 50's. The "Monsterverse" movies are mostly about how humans deal with the emergence of Godzilla, Kong and all of their other monster friends but they also dive into how Monarch researches, studies and if necessary, tries, to destroy the titans if they pose a threat.

I've been following the Monsterverse since the 2014 Godzilla and I really, REALLY like this series so far. It's doing a good job of filling in some of the blanks that were opened up in the movies and it's provides context as to why Monarch does certain things.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think Monarch was actually first seen in one of the recent Godzilla movies.

In fact, to the internet:

Monarch (モナーク Monāku) is a scientific organization that first appeared in the 2014 Legendary Pictures Godzilla film Godzilla.
I'm saw that film, but forgot… 😐

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Three epsiodes left. so we should start seeing tha payoff soon: Monsters!

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I’ll mention it here, I don’t get the hate directed at the 1998 Film from the Godzilla franchise authorities.

I grew up with a Godzilla who trashed cities. I agree that it is an allegory for the evils of nuclear power. Ok, he’d fight other monsters, and according to this article sometimes Godzilla was good and sometimes it was bad.

So what was wrong with a big lizard, born of radiation, deciding it needs to migrate to a location to lay some eggs? It was not functioning in an inherently evil manner, yet the evils of nuclear radiation are clearly present, a large mutated lizard/monster.

I’m trying to figure out why the 1998 film got <30% reviews from audience and critiques, it was describes as bloated and slow. It appears in this case, that I’m on the outside, because I’m not tied down/vested in any specific lore, and I was entertained by this story. 🙃

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I’ll mention it here, I don’t get the hate directed at the 1998 Film from the Godzilla franchise authorities.

I grew up with a Godzilla who trashed cities. I agree that it is an allegory for the evils of nuclear power. Ok, he’d fight other monsters, and according to this article sometimes Godzilla was good and sometimes it was bad.

So what was wrong with a big lizard, born of radiation, deciding it needs to migrate to a location to lay some eggs? It was not functioning in an inherently evil manner, yet the evils of nuclear radiation are clearly present, a large mutated lizard/monster.

I’m trying to figure out why the 1998 film got <30% reviews from audience and critiques, it was describes as bloated and slow. It appears in this case, that I’m on the outside, because I’m not tied down/vested in any specific lore, and I was entertained by this story. 🙃

I remember as a kid really liking the 98 Godzilla film and the animated TV show. However, after watching some of the older G movies and being so invested in the Monsterverse, I've come to understand the criticism of the 98 Godzilla for a few reasons.

• The 98 Godzilla, while born of nuclear radiation, was not as menacing or terrifying as the original Godzilla movies because it lacked ONE critical thing. A lesson for humanity. Sure, the 98 Godzilla tore up NYC in traditional Godzilla fashion but as you said, this G was merely looking for a nesting ground. All of the Godzilla's up to that point showed up to either ravage humanity as penance for using nuclear weapons in the first place OR to defend humanity against something much worse. The 98 Godzilla, while destructive and deadly, posed no REAL threat to humanity and did not offer a lesson to be learned. The only time it attacked humans in the movie is when it was directly attacked and after its nest was destroyed. Every prior Godzilla looked at humans like a child does with a magnifying glass and a ant hill...
  • 98 Godzilla died far too easily. In every other Godzilla movie, G is either destroyed by another monster, an insane super weapon that defies all laws of physics and logic or he goes back to the ocean once it's done destroying a city. Godzilla, for all intents and purposes, represents a living god that cannot be taken down by mere mortal weapons. But 98 Godzilla is taken down by a couple of missiles from some F-18's? Even in the monster verse, Godzilla is shown to have taken not one but TWO nukes directly to the face and they ended up being like steroids to him. Even the Oxygen Destroyer in KOTM couldn't kill him completely (although it came close).
I believe it was in Godzilla 2000 that the 98 Godzilla shows up in Sydney and he gets slapped around like a rag doll, Hulk-Loki style, and is essentially discarded like it was no threat at all. That's how little the 98 Godzilla is revered anymore.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I believe it was in Godzilla 2000 that the 98 Godzilla shows up in Sydney and he gets slapped around like a rag doll, Hulk-Loki style, and is essentially discarded like it was no threat at all. That's how little the 98 Godzilla is revered anymore.

Puny God(zilla).

:)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I remember as a kid really liking the 98 Godzilla film and the animated TV show. However, after watching some of the older G movies and being so invested in the Monsterverse, I've come to understand the criticism of the 98 Godzilla for a few reasons.

• The 98 Godzilla, while born of nuclear radiation, was not as menacing or terrifying as the original Godzilla movies because it lacked ONE critical thing. A lesson for humanity. Sure, the 98 Godzilla tore up NYC in traditional Godzilla fashion but as you said, this G was merely looking for a nesting ground. All of the Godzilla's up to that point showed up to either ravage humanity as penance for using nuclear weapons in the first place OR to defend humanity against something much worse. The 98 Godzilla, while destructive and deadly, posed no REAL threat to humanity and did not offer a lesson to be learned. The only time it attacked humans in the movie is when it was directly attacked and after its nest was destroyed. Every prior Godzilla looked at humans like a child does with a magnifying glass and a ant hill...
  • 98 Godzilla died far too easily. In every other Godzilla movie, G is either destroyed by another monster, an insane super weapon that defies all laws of physics and logic or he goes back to the ocean once it's done destroying a city. Godzilla, for all intents and purposes, represents a living god that cannot be taken down by mere mortal weapons. But 98 Godzilla is taken down by a couple of missiles from some F-18's? Even in the monster verse, Godzilla is shown to have taken not one but TWO nukes directly to the face and they ended up being like steroids to him. Even the Oxygen Destroyer in KOTM couldn't kill him completely (although it came close).
I'd have to go back and look again, but I don't think they definitively killed off Godzilla in that movie. They did show it sinking, but it it was not like they had blown it up... and there was a lesson, atomic testing created a big freaking lizard that stomps all over NYC. :)

I'm not really arguing with you. I do understand the cannon and as the link in my original post, says, they have changed Godzilla's stripes many times over the course of it's existence. The new Monarch series does do a good job of defining what "Titan" really means as far as being basically creatures from another realm that have been unleashed into this world and Godzilla is basically a good monster, although he does stomp cities.. :D

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
I'd have to go back and look again, but I don't think they definitively killed off Godzilla in that movie. They did show it sinking, but it it was not like they had blown it up... and there was a lesson, atomic testing created a big freaking lizard that stomps all over NYC. :)

I'm not really arguing with you. I do understand the cannon and as the link in my original post, says, they have changed Godzilla's stripes many times over the course of it's existence. The new Monarch series does do a good job of defining what "Titan" really means as far as being basically creatures from another realm that have been unleashed into this world and Godzilla is basically a good monster, although he does stomp cities.. :D
I forgot that in the 98 Godzilla, they do try to kill him with subs and he does sink but that isn't what ultimately kills him. He gets stuck on the Brooklyn bridge and they kill him with F-18's.

As for Godzilla being a "good monster" in the Monsterverse...I would say he's indifferent to humanity. He's not necessarily helping humanity but he's not afraid to lay the smack down on us either. Serizawa explains that Godzilla is a balancing force of nature and will do what he has to in order to maintain balance in whatever way possible. Whether that's keeping other Titans in line OR making sure humanity doesn't try to usurp him as the rightful apex predator. Godzilla destroying the Apex facility and drilling a hole through Hong Kong is a clear indicator that he has no problems keeping humanity in line as well.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I forgot that in the 98 Godzilla, they do try to kill him with subs and he does sink but that isn't what ultimately kills him. He gets stuck on the Brooklyn bridge and they kill him with F-18's.

As for Godzilla being a "good monster" in the Monsterverse...I would say he's indifferent to humanity. He's not necessarily helping humanity but he's not afraid to lay the smack down on us either. Serizawa explains that Godzilla is a balancing force of nature and will do what he has to in order to maintain balance in whatever way possible. Whether that's keeping other Titans in line OR making sure humanity doesn't try to usurp him as the rightful apex predator. Godzilla destroying the Apex facility and drilling a hole through Hong Kong is a clear indicator that he has no problems keeping humanity in line as well.
You are right, I stand corrected about the death on the bridge (bad memory). If he was really Godzilla he would have laughed off those puny missiles. :D What is interesting is that some monsters can be killed, but in the Godzilla realm, are they all immune to nukes Due to their affinity to radiation?

jedimasterkyle

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2014
Idaho
You are right, I stand corrected about the death on the bridge (bad memory). If he was really Godzilla he would have laughed off those puny missiles. :D What is interesting is that some monsters can be killed, but in the Godzilla realm, are they all immune to nukes Due to their affinity to radiation?
I would assume so. In the 2014 movie, they show the MUTO's feeding on radiation and they steal a nuke to feed their nest in San Francisco so whether it blows up in their faces or they just feed on it, it seems our nuclear arsenal is more like a buffet rather than a deterrent. At this point in the Monsterverse, the only thing that can kill a Titan is another Titan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.