Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clv101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Had my monitor (Iiyama GB3461WQSU-B1 144Hz) just over three years old and it's worked perfectly for me. Until today when I plugged a MacBook Pro M1 into it via DisplayPort. All worked fine until I came back to it a few hours later and monitor wouldn't wake up from standby. Needed a power cycle with the MacBook unplugged.

I have a PC with 3060 Ti connected via Display Port 1 and the MacBook connected to Display Port 2. I was hoping to just swap the source on the monitor - but this particular monitor seems not to like that! Turns out there's a firmware bug.

Another thing, when connected to Macbook the monitor's orange standby light stays on even when unplugged from mains. The monitor is continually drawing power from the laptop?

Looks like the answer might be to connect the MacBook via a Thunderbolt to HDMI connection, however, the monitor has HDMI 2.0 which means a maximum of 100Hz. Not the end of the world, but not great.

Before I buy a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, are there there any issues using HDMI like this rather than display port?

Nbd1790

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2017
New York
Tough to know for sure but seems like it's an issue with the port. Took a look at your monitor specs and it seems like it's a 1440 resolution if I'm not mistaken. 1440 can run at 144hz over HDMI 2.0 so there's no need to worry (currently doing 144hz on a 1440 monitor over HDMI 2.0)

clv101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
It's an ultra wide 1440p which I think limits to 100Hz, that's not a big problem though. I'm just wondering is there are are specific issues to be aware of running with HDMI? Is the cable important, when looking at Amazon it seems flooded with slightly dubious cables, how to choose a Thunderbolt - HDMI that works!

lorddpx

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2024
my second monitor is no longer being detected. ive been using this setup for the last 4 months. all of a sudden, it does not get detected! anyone else having issues?

clv101

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 19, 2024
Update on this. I am now using a a USB-C to HDMI cable and it works fine. Using HDMI has avoided the DP bug in my monitor preventing it waking from standby. Seems to be running at 100Hz on my UW 1440p display.

Only problem is that my little MBP only has *two* ports! One is used for monitor, one is used my keyboard/mouse switch (shared with PC) which leave nothing free for the power! It's impossible to use the monitor, power and external peripherals at the same time. I guess I need some kind of expansion adapter to connect the power and peripherals into one port.

lorddpx

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2024
I also went to a hdmi to mini hdmi for my video output and that seems to be working fine now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.