Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Solafaa

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
I am looking to buy "the best" monitor for my gamingmonster, price is not an issue. I dont want something like the apple 30" screen because it hurts my eyes. What is the best gaming monitor around which can be used to watch dvd's aswell?

Thanks.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
How big do you wanna go?

(If you can deal with the ugly :p) the Dell 2005 FPW may be the way to go. 20" LCD.
It's around $500, so you could get your dual-monitor on, or get one for yourself and one for me, too. :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
One of my good friends is a pretty serious gamer...

he was recruited onto a team and they compete in international tournaments... according to him, the only proper gaming set up would use a CRT not an LCD. *shrugg* I'm quite ignorant in these matters though. :eek:

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
I agree CRT's are great for gaming....If you want an LCD check out the viewsonic range they are supposed to be the best for gaming LCD's,

ShadOW

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
devilot76 said:
he was recruited onto a team and they compete in international tournaments... according to him, the only proper gaming set up would use a CRT not an LCD. *shrugg* I'm quite ignorant in these matters though. :eek:

:eek: It sounds like he was recruited into the gaming Mafia or something!

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
katie ta achoo said:
It sounds like he was recruited into the gaming Mafia or something!
Well, the gaming community definitely gets intense in their er... 'hobby' or lifestyle. They take things überseriously. Like the person who stabbed someone w/ a screwdriver at one exhibition event. :eek: And come on, who wouldn't take a 'game' seriously if the prize was sponsored gaming set ups from big companies and free games/software/hardware and even beaucoup cash?! :p

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
devilot76 said:

This is true. If you are really looking to get the best quality image in your games go with a CRT monitor. The reason gamers recommend these is for the fact they do not have a "native resolution" like LCD monitors do. On a CRT you can play at 800x600 or 1280x1024 and the game will not look blurry at either setting. If you have a LCD and its native resolution is 1280x1024 if you play a game at 800x600 then it will look blurry and not nearly as crisp as if you had a CRT. However, if your computer is fast enough to run all your games at your monitor's native resolution then this is not something to worry about. Also, most LCD monitor manufacturers have fixed the motion blur issues that used to haunt them in the past so at least that is not a worry anymore.

SummerBreeze

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2005
Chicago, IL
Hmm, I never knew about the CRT thing although I guess it makes sense. My brother is a big gamer, and his LCD seems to work fine for him as he never seems to come out of his room... My only advice is not to get a dell monitor, the one that I have on my linux box had a row of dead pixels after about a year, and dell has the worst customer support ever.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
devilot76 said:
Well, the gaming community definitely gets intense in their er... 'hobby' or lifestyle. They take things überseriously. Like the person who stabbed someone w/ a screwdriver at one exhibition event. :eek: And come on, who wouldn't take a 'game' seriously if the prize was sponsored gaming set ups from big companies and free games/software/hardware and even beaucoup cash?! :p
You ought to see Japan (and moving into the west). People put up posters of their favorite counter strike guy in the same way you would put up a footie or rugby player. Gamers are the new rockstars. They have entire TV channels showing gaming 24/7.

Er... yeah. You'll either want a card and games that support the native res of the LCD, as then it'll be way cool. However, if not, then get the biggest CRT you can find. The problem with CRTs is that they only go up to 21" (iirc, 19" viewing area, or maybe the 21 is the view area... meh. Either way, not as high as an LCD can go)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.