Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sch983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
Looking into the Mac mini’s. Right now my computer and PS5 share the same monitor on the same desk. I’d like to upgrade the monitor to something bigger and more appropriate for Mac OS. Any recommendations on something i could simultaneously hook the Mac and PS5 up to. Maybe something in the 34inch range? I guess my top budget is 700. Built in web cam would be nice since I use Skype video call and would like to FaceTime w/ the Mac mini. If not built in does anyone have webcam recs?

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013

sch983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
34 will be tough unless you go even bigger

32inches isnt bad bigger than what I have now. Will macOS look ok on this?

What’s the next step up?

Last edited:

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
32inches is bad. Will macOS look ok on this?

What’s the next step up?
Clarify “step up”?

If resolution?
5K at 27” is next “step up”. Display 4.5K 24” or 5K 27” sweet spot for macOS because HiDPI.

Display size?
4K at any higher display size will be subjective whether “macOS look ok”. macOS prefer HiDPI. 4K poopy when used at HiDPI so you will want to use 4K native resolution with macOS. Quality of 4K panel will heavily determine your subjective “macOS look ok”. Best to try with good return policy.

sch983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
Clarify “step up”?

If resolution?
5K at 27” is next “step up”. Display 4.5K 24” or 5K 27” sweet spot for macOS because HiDPI.

Display size?
4K at any higher display size will be subjective whether “macOS look ok”. macOS prefer HiDPI. 4K poopy when used at HiDPI so you will want to use 4K native resolution with macOS. Quality of 4K panel will heavily determine your subjective “macOS look ok”. Best to try with good return policy.
Got it so I can go with your Samsung suggestion or look for a 27inch 5k monitor

sch983

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2015
34 will be tough unless you go even bigger
I appreciate your help. I think this monitor has a big of everything I need, what I trade in clarity for Mac OS I make up for with the webcam and ease of hooking up the PS5 and keeping my desk clean of peripherals

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.