Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
I’m trying to look for a monitor to match with an Xbox one X. Dell has a 25” HDR 1440p monitor and a 4K. But not sure if I should get 4K or 1440p with HDR. An Xbox insider update should let me use native 1440p just waiting for it. Never went monitor shopping. But need one as I am putting too many hours on my 5040UB projector. If anyone has monitor suggestions that would be great :)

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
Does it need to be a monitor? Wasn't sure if you're limited on space, but there are 43" 4K TVs for $300. You'd get better audio, unless that doesn't matter to you.
Yea not too keen on anything larger than 27 inches. I’ve had a 21.5” monitor from ages ago. But I stopped using it after I got the projector. But I’ve been racking up to many hours on the bulb and a smaller size is what I actually like more since I play halo 5 and cod WWII competitively
[doublepost=1519778937][/doublepost]I do have a budget of $350 taxes not included. I could set the budget higher but then it takes out of my new desk,chair and HomePod budget.

I prefer monitors over TVs as they are smaller 25”-28” is the sweet spot for competitive gaming in my opinion.
I’ve gotten used to the projector but I can’t play as well and the projector bulb will go out faster as I play Xbox almost everyday.

Audio isn’t really an issue for me as I have a decent headset for my games. Built in audio would be cool if I’m watching YouTube or something. But not really needed.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I’m trying to look for a monitor to match with an Xbox one X. Dell has a 25” HDR 1440p monitor and a 4K. But not sure if I should get 4K or 1440p with HDR. An Xbox insider update should let me use native 1440p just waiting for it. Never went monitor shopping. But need one as I am putting too many hours on my 5040UB projector. If anyone has monitor suggestions that would be great :)
I’ve been looking at monitors the past few days. Dell has a 27” 4K HDR for $475, but upon further research their HDR implementation on the lower end is software, aka fake HDR. Only their high end Ultrasharp Premiere Color series has hardware HDR support.

I ended up buying a 29” 21:9 2560x1080. Actually a downgrade from my U2515 which is 2560x1440, but I used it at 125% since text is a bit small at 100%, which effectively gave me a 1920x1080 desktop. With the 29” 21:9 I can use it at 100% and I very much appreciate the extra width.

Was very close to buying an Asus 27” IPS 144hz Freesync but decided against paying that much for a 3year old design. I really wanted a G Sync monitor since I run Nvidia cards, but none has more than 2 inputs for some reason and I need at least 3.

Very curious if the One X can run at higher frame rate when using a 1440p monitor. Does the upcoming native 1440p support on Xbox one X enable Freesync support?

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
I’ve been looking at monitors the past few days. Dell has a 27” 4K HDR for $475, but upon further research their HDR implementation on the lower end is software, aka fake HDR. Only their high end Ultrasharp Premiere Color series has hardware HDR support.

I ended up buying a 29” 21:9 2560x1080. Actually a downgrade from my U2515 which is 2560x1440, but I used it at 125% since text is a bit small at 100%, which effectively gave me a 1920x1080 desktop. With the 29” 21:9 I can use it at 100% and I very much appreciate the extra width.

Was very close to buying an Asus 27” IPS 144hz Freesync but decided against paying that much for a 3year old design. I really wanted a G Sync monitor since I run Nvidia cards, but none has more than 2 inputs for some reason and I need at least 3.

Very curious if the One X can run at higher frame rate when using a 1440p monitor. Does the upcoming native 1440p support on Xbox one X enable Freesync support?
Well that’s disappointing. Yea I couldn’t do a wide screen since console doesn’t support it haha. That’s my issue with monitors. The outdated design. That’s why I wanted dell. They have good designs. Just their low end 4K looks a little eh. It’s just hard to choose monitors. Harder than it should be.
Not sure if it will support free sync I just know that it’s coming and the Xbox one S and X will support it but the Xbox one X will be able to play at 1440p.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
Well that’s disappointing. Yea I couldn’t do a wide screen since console doesn’t support it haha. That’s my issue with monitors. The outdated design. That’s why I wanted dell. They have good designs. Just their low end 4K looks a little eh. It’s just hard to choose monitors. Harder than it should be.
Not sure if it will support free sync I just know that it’s coming and the Xbox one S and X will support it but the Xbox one X will be able to play at 1440p.

That’s one reason I recently went with an iMac 5K, as I know Apple does a great job with accurate, high quality displays. We also have a 48” LG 4K UHD, which is where I plug my PS4 Pro, and best I can tell, games look awesome. I wish there was an official way to hook up a console to the iMac, but I don’t mind the gaming from my sofa either. :)

Mudodonbond

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2015
USA
That’s one reason I recently went with an iMac 5K, as I know Apple does a great job with accurate, high quality displays. We also have a 48” LG 4K UHD, which is where I plug my PS4 Pro, and best I can tell, games look awesome. I wish there was an official way to hook up a console to the iMac, but I don’t mind the gaming from my sofa either. :)
Gaming from the sofa for me throws off my game play way too much I may pick up a 5K iMac if I’ll start having a need for one. Want it but. Don’t need. Which sucks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.