Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2004
I recently purchased my first Mac (17" iMac 1.8 GHz G5--hasn't arrived yet), and I'm trying to get acquainted to the Mac way of doing things. The Terminal command line really intrigues me, and I'd like to learn how to use it.

I was noticing on this Expose' demo from Ambrosia software a Terminal window that displays the CPU usage as well as the resources consumed by each open process.

Anyone know the command sequence used to get this info?

Any other useful terminal commands would be helpful.

Thanks!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
TIGERmac said:
Expose' demo from Ambrosia software[/url] a Terminal window that displays the CPU usage as well as the resources consumed by each open process.

Anyone know the command sequence used to get this info?
In Terminal, type:
Code:

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Or:

Code:
man top
for more information on the top command. (man pages are manual pages)

TIGERmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2004
Thanks for the quick responses!

Does anyone know of a good web resource or book available to learn more Unix code?

Your responses are appreciated.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
TIGERmac said:
Does anyone know of a good web resource or book available to learn more Unix code?
OS X Panther for UNIX Geeks
Learning UNIX for Mac OS X Panther
Mac OS X Panther Unleashed

The O'Reilly Mac Dev Center web site has lots of good info and tutorials, as does the Apple Developer Connection site. There are a bunch of other decent resources as well, but those should get you started. For just basic UNIX stuff, you could probably use any standard book on BSD UNIX, though it's better to get a OS X-specific one if you can. When you get serious about it, you can install the developer tools from the Panther CDs (included).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.